Upgrade arcgis module to version 1.6.0

Jump to solution
03-20-2019 06:33 AM
TomGeo
by
Occasional Contributor III

Starting to look at the Python SDK I was wondering how to upgrade to the latest version of the SDK. I am running version 2.3.1 of ArcGIS Pro which comes with version 1.5.1 of the arcgis module. Following the guide I can clone the arcgispro-py3 environment, but that's where the guide is a bit outdated, since version 2.3.1 of ArcGIS Pro does not come with a button 'New' giving the opportunity to name the environment self, but only with a button to browse environments or to clone the default.

Once I clone the default environment I can upgrade the environment using

conda upgrade -c esri arcgis

However, the module arcgis will be upgraded to version 1.5.3 and I would have rather expected the version to be 1.6.0.

I was wondering how I can upgrade to 1.6.0.

In addition, when the cloned environment is set as the active environment, running jupyter notebook opens the browser on http://localhost:8888/tree, where there is only a white page. Using one of the urls provided in the command line after running notebooks only leads to the same outcome.

So in the end I cannot even run 1.5.3...

Any chance someone here can tell me where it goes south?

- We are living in the 21st century.
GIS moved on and nobody needs a format consisting out of at least three files! No, nobody needs shapefiles, not even for the sake of an exchange format. Folks, use GeoPackage to exchange data with other GIS!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it is pinned (check for your pinned file

conda upgrade -c esri --no-pin arcgis

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it is pinned (check for your pinned file

conda upgrade -c esri --no-pin arcgis
KarstenRank

It works! Thanks Dan

Greetings Karsten

0 Kudos
TomGeo
by

Thanks a lot Dan!

- We are living in the 21st century.
GIS moved on and nobody needs a format consisting out of at least three files! No, nobody needs shapefiles, not even for the sake of an exchange format. Folks, use GeoPackage to exchange data with other GIS!
0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi Dan - do you know why the pinning occurs and/or where to go to check the 'pinned' file?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

just do a file explorer search in your ArcGIS pro installation path, looking for a file called 'pinned' with no file extension.  It is a text file, so notepad or notepad++… just don't mess with it unless you have a backup saved in a safe place... like where you saved your download of the *.exe for Pro and/or the msi and cab file derived from it