Unable to upgrade to ArcGIS API for Python 1.3.0 in ArcGIS Pro 2.1?

01-25-2018 10:01 AM
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

In ArcGIS Pro 2.1, if I goto to Python Package Manager, and view "Installed Packages", then it indicates that arcgis (the ArcGIS API for Python) is at version 1.2.5. If switch to view "Update Packages", and click on "Refresh" (and provide admin credentials), then it does not show any updates available. Is version 1.3.0 of the ArcGIS API for Python not compatible with ArcGIS Pro 2.1? I'm missing something about how to update it?

8 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I noticed the same thing.  I suspect that Esri is packaging ArcGIS API for Python tighter with ArcGIS Pro, and that only specific versions of the API will be supported on specific versions of Pro.  Maybe Pro 2.1.1 or 2.2 will have the 1.3 API bundled with it.

Another interesting item I noticed is that when I installed the ArcGIS API for Python through a Conda installation having Python 3.6.3, Conda installed Python 3.5.3 when it installed the ArcGIS API in the virtual environment I created. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That is correct.  It is tied into the distribution set by esri as ( see the 'esri' beside the package distribution)

Python 3.6* comes with Pro, and I suspect that both versions of python may not be synced as they aren't with arcmap and Pro

0 Kudos
JohnYaist1
Esri Contributor

Hi Peter Knoop You can upgrade to the version 1.3.0 of the ArcGIS API for Python using the Python Command Prompt (head to Start > All Programs > ArcGIS to find it):

Once that's opened, type:

conda upgrade -c esri --no-pin arcgis

Let me know the outcome.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yes you can remove the pin.... but the big question ... is it adviseable!!! or are you asking Peter to be the tester

JohnYaist1
Esri Contributor

The Install and Set Up Guide will be updated soon to contain these instructions.

PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

Tried it, but it didn't seem to actually upgrade arcgis. I'm still at 1.2.5. It did appear to install and update some other packages...

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> conda upgrade -c esri arcgis

Fetching package metadata ...............

Solving package specifications: .

Package plan for installation in environment C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3:

The following NEW packages will be INSTALLED:

icc_rt: 2017.0.4-h97af966_0

The following packages will be UPDATED:

notebook: 5.3.1-py36_0 --> 5.3.1-py36_1

numpy: 1.13.1-py36_0 --> 1.13.3-py36h4a99626_2

Proceed (/n)? y

icc_rt-2017.0. 100% |###############################| Time: 0:00:00 17.36 MB/s

numpy-1.13.3-p 100% |###############################| Time: 0:00:00 42.45 MB/s

notebook-5.3.1 100% |###############################| Time: 0:00:00 11.76 MB/s

DEBUG menuinst_win32:__init__(189): Menu: name: 'Anaconda${PY_VER} ${PLATFORM}', prefix: 'C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bi n\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3', env_name: 'arcgispro-py3', mode: 'user', used_mode: 'user' DEBUG menuinst_win32:create(301): Shortcut cmd is "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\cwp.exe", args are ['"C:\\Prog ram Files\\ArcGIS\\Pro\\bin\\Python\\envs\\arcgispro-py3"', '"C:\\Program Files\\ArcGIS\\Pro\\bin\\Python\\envs\\arcgisp ro-py3\\python.exe"', '"C:\\Program Files\\ArcGIS\\Pro\\bin\\Python\\envs\\arcgispro-py3\\Scripts\\jupyter-notebook-scri pt.py"', '%USERPROFILE%'] DEBUG menuinst_win32:__init__(189): Menu: name: 'Anaconda${PY_VER} ${PLATFORM}', prefix: 'C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bi n\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3', env_name: 'arcgispro-py3', mode: 'user', used_mode: 'user' DEBUG menuinst_win32:create(301): Shortcut cmd is "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\cwp.exe", args are ['"C:\\Prog ram Files\\ArcGIS\\Pro\\bin\\Python\\envs\\arcgispro-py3"', '"C:\\Program Files\\ArcGIS\\Pro\\bin\\Python\\envs\\arcgisp ro-py3\\python.exe"', '"C:\\Program Files\\ArcGIS\\Pro\\bin\\Python\\envs\\arcgispro-py3\\Scripts\\jupyter-notebook-scri pt.py"', '%USERPROFILE%'] PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> conda lisr arcgis usage: conda.exe [-h] [-V] command ... conda.exe: error: argument command: invalid choice: 'C:\\Program Files\\ArcGIS\\Pro\\bin\\Python\\Scripts\\conda.exe' (c hoose from 'info', 'help', 'list', 'search', 'create', 'install', 'update', 'upgrade', 'remove', 'uninstall', 'config', 'clean', 'package', 'proswap')

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> conda list arcgis

# packages in environment at C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3:

#

arcgis 1.2.5 py36_1 esri

arcgispro 2.1 0 esri

0 Kudos
JohnYaist1
Esri Contributor

Hi Peter Knoop

Try it with the --no-pin flag:

• Type:
conda upgrade -c esri --no-pin arcgis‍‍‍

The --no-pin flag is necessary to override the arcgis 1.2.5 package.

0 Kudos
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

--no-pin of course does the trick, however, the implication of having to do that, rather than being able to upgrade directly in Pro's Python Package Manager is that 1.3.0 is not compatible with something in Pro 2.1?

I need the entitlement calls that were introduced at 1.3.0, so I cannot stick with 1.2.5, but I hope I haven't broken something else now by upgrading...

Thanks!

0 Kudos