Using latest arcgis lib for python (1.8.0.post1) and following lab extensions:

$ jupyter labextension list

JupyterLab v2.1.0

Known labextensions:

app dir: /Users/zaifmar/anaconda3/envs/arcgis_latest/share/jupyter/lab

@jupyter-widgets/jupyterlab-manager v2.0.0  enabled  OK

@jupyterlab/geojson-extension v2.0.1  enabled  OK

arcgis-map-ipywidget v1.8.0  enabled  OK

map = GIS().map() does NOT display in this version but DOES display in arcgis 1.6.2.post1

Is there a remedy for this problem in 1.8?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You might want to check on API's GitHub page

GitHub - Esri/arcgis-python-api: Documentation and samples for ArcGIS API for Python 

Check the "Issues" section there for Open and/or Closed issues.

John Yaist‌, Timothy Hales‌ FYI

artzaifman
New Contributor III

Thank you Dan for the rapid response!

0 Kudos
artzaifman
New Contributor III

Follow-up: No help on fixing jupyter lab map display for latest arcgis python (1.8) appears to exist in documentation (only for 1.6).  This is disappointing since lab is really superior to standard notebook environment.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all, would be keen to understand if there has been any progress on this, I'm still facing this issue and as above am keen to use lab over notebook.

0 Kudos
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I've upgraded my environment to the latest ArcGIS API for Python 1.8.3, it seems working fine. 

Easiest way is to use the python environment of ArcGIS Pro 2.7, which comes with ArcGIS API for Python 1.8.3 and ArcPy.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi, that’s really interesting. I am using 1.8.3 which I upgraded manually - I have ArcGIS Pro 2.6.1 installed - and I cannot initiate the map if I am using Lab, works fine with notebook.
0 Kudos
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I found forcefully upgrading the ArcGIS Pro Python env using no-pin option is error-prone, and I had the same issue after I upgraded my ArcGIS Pro 2.6.1 python env.

So I would suggest to create a new python env in anaconda and install the latest ArcGIS Python API if you can't wait for ArcGIS Pro to upgrade its python env to the latest

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Brilliant, that's worked perfectly!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey all (again 🙂 ),

Has anyone found issues with this problem and the 1.8.5 release of the python API?  My lab install is once again unable to use the map widget.  I've tried a number of times to ensure that the API version is the same as the arcgis-map-ipywidget version (@1.8.5), but via npm and jupyter labextension update, both suggest that they've update the extension, but if it run a list. it states arcgis-map-ipywidget version (@1.8.1)

I suspect the issue is that I've installed jupyter lab 3.x and the arcgis-map-ipywidget is not compatible?

0 Kudos