Installing API without dependencies (--no-deps) failing

10-06-2022 01:10 AM
Oliver_Burdekin
Occasional Contributor II

I'm trying to install a lightweight version of ArcGIS Python API using conda and Anaconda. The documentation states that using the `--no-deps` flag will lead to a ~50MB install.

When I try this on a windows 10 machine using Anaconda the install fails with the following:

ERROR conda.core.link:_execute(732): An error occurred while installing package 'esri::arcgis-1.8.3-py38_1668'.
Rolling back transaction: done

LinkError: post-link script failed for package esri::arcgis-1.8.3-py38_1668
location of failed script: C:\Users\User\Anaconda3\envs\Arc183\Scripts\.arcgis-post-link.bat
==> script messages <==
Manually uninstall any prior version of arcgis widget using:
        "jupyter nbextension uninstall arcgis --user" and
        "jupyter nbextension uninstall arcgis"
'"C:\Users\User\Anaconda3\envs\Arc183\Scripts\jupyter-nbextension.exe"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
'"C:\Users\User\Anaconda3\envs\Arc183\Scripts\jupyter-nbextension.exe"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

==> script output <==
stdout: jupyter nbextension command failed: map widgets in the jupyter notebook may not work, installation continuing...
jupyter nbextension command failed: map widgets in the jupyter notebook may not work, installation continuing...

stderr:
return code: 9009

I have previously installed the recommended 6 packages and set the version of ArcGIS API to 1.8.3 as referenced in the article.

Adding jupyter_nbextensions and its dependencies inflates the total footprint of the environment up to ~750MB. This is too big for my purposes.

How can I keep this env size low?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you use the

conda install -c esri arcgis --no-deps

or

pip install arcgis --no-deps

I have had more success using pip install vs conda when it comes to anything involving the arcpy and/or arcgis packages since the dependency trail is hard to navigate

ADDENDUM

Documentation on minimum dependencies needs update, enhancement? · Issue #1149 · Esri/arcgis-python-...

check to see if the documentation was indeed updates

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Oliver_Burdekin
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Dan, I've been trying with Conda but will give it a shot with pip.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Oliver, I just added an addendum

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos