How can I prevent other users from copying an item?

06-20-2018 04:29 AM
MarcLEMAIRE
New Contributor III

I would like to prevent users from copying the authoritative layers of my organization. Is it possible with python?

How can I know if an item is already not allowed to be copied? I don't find such a property in the documentation.

Moreover, I think there is still some issues in this fuctionnality:

if I check the box to not allow the copy in the GUI, i still can copy the item using the copy function from the API

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

I think the behaviour here is much like anything in a file system, could be wrong though.

If you can see / read it, you can copy it.

0 Kudos
MichaelKelly
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Marc,

It really depends on the item type. If you are talking about Feature Layers, one way to strengthen security is to register the Feature Layer as an item, store the credentials, and then limit access to the layers from various URLs (for example https://myorg.maps.arcgis.com). Do you think this would work?

Mikie

0 Kudos
MarcLEMAIRE
New Contributor III

Thanks Michael, you're right, the type of my item is very  important. 

The chekbox does'nt exist with feature layers but is present for webmap.

how can I do it to prevent users from copying my webmap?

0 Kudos
MichaelKelly
Occasional Contributor III

A Web Map typically references various Feature Layers. If those layers have limit usage applied and the Web Map is copied to another Portal, the layers with limit usage applied will not work as the referenced layers will be inaccessible.

You can stop the Web Map being copied through the Map Viewer using the Save As button by turning off the checkbox you mentioned earlier. But the Web Map configuration can still be accessed by looking at network traffic or looking at it programatically. There is no way to hide this if it is public!

0 Kudos