from arcgis.gis import server

user = '<admin user>'

pswd = '<password>'

server_base_url = "https://<server>/<webadaptor>"

gis_server = server.Server(url=f"{server_base_url}/admin",
   token_url=f"{server_base_url}/tokens/generateToken",
   username=user,
   password=pswd)

service = gis_server.content.get('<Service Name>', folder='<Service Folder>')

service.service.status

{'configuredState': 'STARTED', 'realTimeState': 'STARTED'}

However, in 1.8.2 the service status returns:

{'status': 'error', 'messages': ["Unauthorized access. Token not found. You can generate a token using the 'generateToken' operation."], 'code': 499}

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It actually broke in 1.8.0, but remains broken through 1.8.2.  What you are seeing is related to a defect I reported to the team last week, and they have stated it will be addressed in 1.8.3.  See arcgis.gis.server.admin.administration.Server Mangles arcgis.gis._impl._con._connection.Connection ·... 

Huber_Daniel_C
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply and link to your open Issue on their Github site.  I didn't notice it when I entered my issue today (Stand-Alone ArcGIS Server Authentication Fails · Issue #752 · Esri/arcgis-python-api · GitHub )   

We finally have access to this API in the enterprise environment I support and I seem to keep tripping over these issues.   Really hard not to give up and stick with the tried and true REST API.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I hear ya.  The ArcGIS API for Python is mostly a wrapper for the REST API, but there are things the team implements differently than how I interact with the REST API directly, so there are some trade-offs using it. 

0 Kudos