arcgis.gis equivalent for publishing feature (web) layer as scene layer button in GUI AGOL ?

Jump to solution
07-21-2020 09:06 AM
FranciscoCosta1
Occasional Contributor

Title says it all, how can be created with code a Scene (web) Layer from associated feature (web) layer in AGOL.

It can be done manually in AGOL with the GUI.

So the best bet would be arcgis.gis module — arcgis 1.8.1 documentation  although there is nowhere in documentation explaining how this can be accomplished, and why is that important to have a scene layer with associated feature layer check here: http://140.207.158.228/latest/guide/working-with-scene-layers/

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FranciscoCosta1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Jonah, 

Thanks for those links but i already know them well.

The problem is that doing in arcpy publish of slpk you end up with a scene (web) layer only.

Which is quite different result in comparison of click the publish button to Scene layer in GUI of AGOL you get a more powerful Scene (web) layer with Associated Feature Web layer.

So i'm now sweeping through ArcGIS API for Python documentation to see if that's possible, and it looks like it is not.

Conclusion (unless further information is added by folks here): Currently is not very viable to automate the creation of scene (web) layer with associated feature (web) layer, so in the workflow going to publish the slpk to simple scene (web) layer and then try to make it work in my ArcGIS API for JavaScript application which has a lot of dynamic filters, queries and also dashboards.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JonahLay
Esri Contributor

Hi Francisco,

It is possible to share a web scene layer using ArcPy, but currently, it must be done through a scene layer package. You can incorporate the GP tool appropriate for your data. To begin, see Create Scene Layer Package

Once you have the scene layer package, incorporate the Share Package GP tool in your script with "publish_web_layer" set to "TRUE". 

Regarding your question about the benefits of associated feature layers, please see the following: Scene layer with an associated feature layer.

Hope it helps,

Jonah

0 Kudos
FranciscoCosta1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Jonah, 

Thanks for those links but i already know them well.

The problem is that doing in arcpy publish of slpk you end up with a scene (web) layer only.

Which is quite different result in comparison of click the publish button to Scene layer in GUI of AGOL you get a more powerful Scene (web) layer with Associated Feature Web layer.

So i'm now sweeping through ArcGIS API for Python documentation to see if that's possible, and it looks like it is not.

Conclusion (unless further information is added by folks here): Currently is not very viable to automate the creation of scene (web) layer with associated feature (web) layer, so in the workflow going to publish the slpk to simple scene (web) layer and then try to make it work in my ArcGIS API for JavaScript application which has a lot of dynamic filters, queries and also dashboards.

0 Kudos