ArcGIS API for Python 1.0.1 Released

02-08-2017 03:50 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
6 4 1,129

We are excited to announce the v1.0.1 of the ArcGIS API for Python which includes fixes for the bugs reported by you. You can find the list of fixes and enhancements in the release notes.

Please upgrade your package using the command

conda upgrade -c esri arcgis‍

If this is the first time you’re installing the Python API, use the following command:

conda install -c esri arcgis‍

Note:

• The v1.0.1 version requires Python interpreter 3.5 and later. This means, it would not work with the Python installed with ArcGIS Pro 1.3. We request our Pro users to upgrade to ArcGIS Pro 1.4 and reinstall the latest arcgis package.
  • If you were using v1.0 in Python 3.4 environment, please create a new environment and install either Python 3.5x or 3.6x and then install the arcgis API.

You can create a new environment in conda using the following command: In the command below, you can give a name of your choice and specify either 3.5 or 3.6 for Python version

conda create --name my_latest_python_env python=3.5‍

Then activate the environment and install the package using the command below:

activate my_latest_python_env
conda install -c esri arcgis‍‍‍‍

Thank you,
ArcGIS API for Python team.

Tags (1)
4 Comments
SimonJackson
Occasional Contributor III

Just getting started with this.  

Running ArcGIS Pro 1.4.1

Opened up the Python Command Prompt (which uses arcgispro-py3_

conda install -c esri arcgis

But this gives me:

# You don't appear to have the necessary permissions to install packages
# into the install area 'C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python'.
# However you can clone this environment into your home directory and
# then make changes to it.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Simon, since you installed into 'C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python' you need to run the `Python Command Prompt' as an 'Administrator'. Since you have Pro 1.4.1, you can install it from the Pro app UI as well, but you need to start Pro as an administrator.

SimonJackson
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Atma - that works fine - noticed it mentions this in the help, so my bad.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but any tips/best practise on getting setup.

1. Use the embedded Conda within Pro or download Anaconda and install separately? Pros and Cons?
  2. Any way to create a shortcut that runs the Python Command Window with Admin privileges?
  3. Any issues updating the 3rd party packages in the Conda embedded with Pro or including additional ones such as Juypter?
  4. Is it best practise to create a new environment within the embedded Pro Conda?

I also notice my Pro 1.4.1 is missing a python environment? Is this due to me doing this on a machine that also has Conda?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Although, we may not have a set best practice, the questions you have are valid and the geonet community is a great place to ask this, get the feedback from all the other users. I would recommend posting this as a separate question. Meanwhile, I can share my opinions:

1. When you use the conda within Pro and install the API, you get the opportunity to use it along with ArcPy. This is a very useful if you want to make use of Pro GP tools as well as script against your Web GIS using the Python API. If you download Anaconda and install through that, you get platform independence and can install it on Mac, Linux etc. Further Anaconda bundles a lot more Python packages so you do not have to install them separately. You can explore anaconda cloud as well.
  2. I am not sure if you can create a shortcut that has a specific run privilege. As a tangent answer, you can run that command prompt from any other terminal emulator such Powershellconemucmder by navigating to the Pro install location. For instance, you can run Pro's conda by navigating to C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\Scripts and running `proenv.bat` then run `conda install -c esri arcgis`‍
  3. If you are facing any upgrade difficulty when using Pro, could you paste your errors. It would be helpful to debug.
  4. In general if you are using conda it is preferable to create a new environment for each project that you are working on. Note, Pro's ArcPy works best in the built-in `arcgispro-py3` environment.
  5. I will pass along that missing environment issue to the appropriate team in ArcGIS Desktop.