Landsat Viewer

09-07-2017 05:55 PM
RichieCarmichael
Esri Contributor
6 3 11K

Landsat Viewer Demonstration

The lab has just completed an experimental viewer designed to sort, filter and extract individual Landsat scenes. The viewer is a web application developed using Esri's JavaScript API and a three.js-based external renderer.

Click here for the live application.

Click here for the source code.

The application has a wizard-like workflow. First, the user is prompted to sketch a bounding box representation the area of interest. The next step defines the imagery source and minimum selection criteria for the image scenes. For example, in the screenshot below the user is interested in any scene taken over the past 45+ years but those scenes must have 10% or less cloud cover.

Finally, once preview scenes have been downloaded the user can advance to the final step of sorting, filtering and interrogating individual Landsat images. In the screenshot below the images have been sorted by cloud cover with cloudless images located at the top of the stack. Also, on the right hand side of the screenshot below one image has been identified. From the identify window one can naturally peruse the image's attribution but also add the image to the map as a normal image layer.

For more information about Landsat imagery hosted by the USGS and Esri and associated apps, please visit:

3 Comments
TonyViveiros1
Occasional Contributor

Hello...the download feature doesn't appear to work for me on Chrome and IE.  As well, I can create a stack using the USGS host but not the Esri host. Thanks.

Tony

RichieCarmichael
Esri Contributor

Hi AViveirosHU‌, unfortunately the download buttons is not implemented yet.  I was able to verify that the Esri Landsat service is not working optimally at present.  I have initiated a service request to correct this.  In the mean time I have made USGS the default imagery host.

RichieCarmichael
Esri Contributor

Hi AViveirosHU‌, we have just implemented image download from the popup window. Clicking the download button will display a high resolution image in a new browser window. The resolution of the image will be 2,000 by 2,000 pixels for Esri's hosted imagery and 10,000 by 10,000 pixels for the imagery hosted by USGS.  The USGS high resolutions may take up to 15 seconds to load and can be as large as 10mb.