A generic tool to convert multiple mdf files to gdb,

Jump to solution
04-09-2017 11:20 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

A generic tool to convert multiple mdf files to gdb,

To enjoy multiusers editing environment, our data is stored in mdf files (enterprise). However, when it comes to publishing, we convert the mdf to gdb in order to gain some performance as the services that read from gdb are much faster than those read from mdf. We are wondering if there is a generic tool that can convert multiple mdf files to gdb.

Thank you

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AhmadSALEH1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jamal, 

I am attaching  a tool that I wrote which iterates  in   a folder were the sde connection files are saved then copies the data to a new Geodatabase. 

its working fine with me, make sure  that every database connection has its own unique name to avoid overwriting the geodatabase.

View solution in original post

38 Replies
AbdullahAnter

The easiest way that I know is , creating a model using Create Personal GDB and Feature class To Geodatabase (multiple) tools.like the following picture:

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Abdullah.

Here I wanted to convert multiple enterprise databases (sql server databases) to gdb. I’m not sure in which sense the “Create Personal GDB” and “Feature class To Geodatabase” can help to perform this task.

Jamal Numan
AbdullahAnter

You can define name for new personal geodatabase, then input all feature class of file geodatabase in the parameter in my model picture and it will be converted. it is easy.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I’m not sure how this should work. Converting multiple sde geodatabase in one go to gdb (the tool needs to be generic without playing with the layers!)

Jamal Numan
AbdullahAnter

Feature class To Geodatabase (multiple) tool not used as your picture, to convert you SDE data to GDB

input all feature classes of SDE in the tool , and it converts them into personal geodatabase.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I’ll see if the FME has very generic robust tools that can convert multiple mdf files to an equivalent gdb

Jamal Numan
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you read Overview of copying geodatabases to see the pluses and minuses of some different approaches and tools?  What have you tried already, and how isn't it working for you?

rawansaleh1

Dear Joshua,

Thanks for your reply.

We used “Copying feature classes using Export” but we need this to be generic without playing with the layers. Because we will lose some data in this way.

According to  copy/ paste  we need to convert all mdf to filegeodata base in one go, and  this not applicable by this method

Best,

Rawan

AhmadSALEH1

Hi Jamal, 

I am attaching  a tool that I wrote which iterates  in   a folder were the sde connection files are saved then copies the data to a new Geodatabase. 

its working fine with me, make sure  that every database connection has its own unique name to avoid overwriting the geodatabase.