The coronavirus (COVID-19) is causing many universities and colleges to virtualize their classes. Recently we have fielded many questions on how to virtualize ArcGIS, to support the moving of labs, assignments and activities to a complete online setting. Fortunately, the virtualization of Esri technology, especially ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap, is well tested across many platforms; on-premise and in the cloud.
Esri Virtualization Team has provided information on various virtualization options for ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap in their newly published blog titled Virtualization of ArcGIS from the Cloud and On-Premise platforms to support Higher Education.
The blog includes information on:
- Special considerations to virtualize ArcGIS Pro
- Using ArcGIS Pro on Mac
- Virtualization On-Premise (technology and hardware options)
- Virtualization in Cloud (options and providers)
- Connecting the Virtual Machine (VM) to the client
Much of this information is also available in the newly published Esri ArcGIS Pro Virtualization White Paper.
In addition, hear from the experts in this "Enabling Remote Access to ArcGIS in Higher Education" webinar. View webinar recording.
- Peter Knoop, University of Michigan
- Peter Wiringa, University of Minnesota
- Seth Peery, Virginia Tech
- Jim Detwiler, Pennsylvania State University
- Wendy Guan, Harvard University
If you have additional questions on virtualizing ArcGIS Pro, please email ArcGISProVirtualization@esri.com.