Setting required fields for a feature service in ArcGIS Online

06-04-2014 08:37 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I am testing out a feature service for use in web editing, primarily through Collector.  I am testing in ArcGIS Online.  I tried to edit an existing feature and there are a couple of fields that have a yellow triangle and with an exclamation point next to them and a popup that states that this value is required.  I cannot seem to figure out how this property is set.  The two fields in one particular feature that are marked as required aren't really required and other fields that should be required are not required.  How do I change the property of this?  In the feature class it seems the only thing you could change is whether or not a field is nullable but that doesn't appear to affect anything else.  The template doesn't have an option for requiring fields either.  ArcGIS Online nor Collector have any options that I can find to alter this either.  The service properties don't reference required fields either.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
Tags (2)
30 Replies
NickHetrick
Occasional Contributor II

I noticed the same issue as well and I am also having issues that I think are related to this as well when it comes to adding new features. It seems like ESRI currently knows this is an issue based on the forum posting below since it is not reading the REST endpoint settings for non-nullable fields. I still don't get why ArcGIS.com editing is showing an icon for fields that are not required as well.

https://community.esri.com/message/320756?sr=search&searchId=4d3af6bf-8ab4-4458-9606-0392d8090869&se...

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I posted a reply in that forum thread as well.  Thanks for bringing it up.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
AlexandraWalrath
New Contributor II

Has there been any progress on this issue? I'm searching for way to control which feature service fields are marked as "required" in ArcGIS Online/Collector.

JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III

I see the behavior in AGOL that you are describing when I assign a Domain with Coded Values to an attribute field of a featureclass in a feature service.

KeithGerhartz1

Me too. It appears that the API assumed a field to be required if a coded domain is specified.

SamH
by
New Contributor II

I just want to revive this thread and ask if anyone knows the exact step to set required field in arcgis online ? I tried replicating by assiging a Domain with coded value to an attribute field of a fc in a feature service, but did not see the same result as what others have mentioned about seeing the required field show up in AGOL ?

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I haven't worked with this much since.  I would recommend that Esri just make the required property editable in AGOL.  It seems this would be a quick fix.  Plus this would give you options to require fields that the REST endpoint says are nullable if desired.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
NickHetrick

I totally agree  the flexibility to control the required value property in AGOL would be a really nice enhancement. I would also like to see the ability to include date/time stamps for inserting vs updating data configurable within AGOL as well so I don't have to use the editor tracking functionality within the database.

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I agree on the editor tracking, I've really only used Collector in a test state so far so I'm not sure how it is working.  I have noticed that when I used the editing feature in my Flex webmap using a feature service, the editor always showed up as Esri_Anonymous which is completely useless.  Of course there isn't a log in required so that might be what causes that.  I just wish it would use Windows credentials. 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City