How do you remove offline maps in Collector after a synch is 100% complete?

Jump to solution
06-02-2014 11:11 AM
NickHarvey
Occasional Contributor II

Hi All - So far I have everything working in terms of an edit process & synch offline with Collector using our own Server-based feature service....But after I synch the edits (push them from the Collector app to the the enterprise db) I haven't found a way to delete the offline version of the map that exists on my Collector app (exists on AGOL by the same name) WITHOUT deleting Collector (effectively clearing all the data associated with Collector on my iPAD).  Must be missing something simple, or haven't found the right help doc yet....I must delete and replace the offline version of the map because it only contains a single-point-in-time geographic extent that I needed (neighborhood level) which is progeny of the AGOL map.....Puzzled...Sorry if this isn't clear...

thanks

-Nick

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CraigCheeseman
New Contributor III
You go to Manager and remove the map.  When you start collector and see your maps.  Press the menu button in the top right and you will see Manage.  Click this and you will see the maps you can remove.  When you click remove it will ask you if you want to remove features and base map or just remove features only.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
CraigCheeseman
New Contributor III
You go to Manager and remove the map.  When you start collector and see your maps.  Press the menu button in the top right and you will see Manage.  Click this and you will see the maps you can remove.  When you click remove it will ask you if you want to remove features and base map or just remove features only.
NickHarvey
Occasional Contributor II

Awesome thanks Craig - What was throwing me off the trail I think was that the Manage option doesn't show up under the Menu icon (Sign Out/Organization/Settings) until AFTER you have created a disconnected map and I overlooked it after not seeing that menu change in working with the 'connected' AGOL maps...(I was expecting a new separate icon for managing the disconnected map I guess).  Pays to ask sometimes.... Thanks so much!

-Nick

0 Kudos
HollyBaun1
New Contributor II

Another tip to add here, when in doubt: Restart. I experienced a glitch in Collector where my downloaded map on my Android device did not show up under the Manage option from the overflow menu (bottom right on Android). My offline map was stuck in offline mode. I read this simple instruction that indicated I should see the downloaded maps on my device and be able to click the Remove link. I replicated the process on my iPhone with success. Before resorting to reinstalling the Collector app, I simply restarted my Android phone and voila! There was the downloaded map tile with the lovely red Remove link.  I was going a little crazy with frustration for a bit there. Hopefully this helps if anyone else has the same glitch and ends up on this thread.  

0 Kudos
CandiceOoi
New Contributor III

I am using Collector on a Windows tablet and I have trouble removing the base maps off the device. I don't see the "Manage" button that is shown on the Android / iOS app. Does anyone have a clue about how to remove the base maps? I would like to reload a new base map into my web map, however, it only let me choose the base map I have in my device. It doesn't let me redefine my work area and download the map. I appreciate everyone's input to this problem. Thank you very much! 

0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Candice -- Removing downloaded basemaps on Windows is done when viewing your on-device content. When viewing the Maps gallery, go to the menu and select On Device. You'll see lists of the maps and basemaps you have downloaded on your device. From the overflow menu on a map or basemap you'll have the ability to remove it. For basemaps, remove will be disabled if it is being used for maps on your device, so you might have to clean up the maps first.

You can also see more about this in Go offline > Remove downloaded maps and basemaps—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS.

Esri Education Team
CarolGhostine
Esri Contributor

Hi Candice

To remove your Basemap. You need to click on the burger icon in the upper left corner, then click On Device. Within the On Device screen you will see Maps and Basemaps. Click on Maps. You will see all your offline maps. For the map you want to remove the basemap from ,click the overflow menu (...) then click remove. You will have an option to remove the features or both features and basemap. Here you would would select feature and basemap. This would remove the basemap off your device. 

Regarding the second part of your question on selecting another basemap. Do you want use the default basemap but define a new area for your existing map or do you want to download a new basemap to your device and use that with the same map?

-Carol

0 Kudos
CandiceOoi
New Contributor III

Hi Carol and Kylie, 

Thank you very much for pointing that out. I understand that the I cannot remove the base map if it is being used for maps on your device. I tried to remove it while not using it and the "remove" button is not clickable. My issue was removing the base map while having another user logged in to Collector using the same device. I figured that I need to remove it using the account which I used to create the base map. 

To clarify, Carol, I am trying to replace the default base map with a new area with new extent and scale. Is it possible to load multiple base maps in Collector so that I can pick and choose whichever base map to use when I am offline? 

Thank you!

Candice

Carol Ghostine

Kylie Donia

0 Kudos
CarolGhostine
Esri Contributor

HI Candice,

Each basemap requires its own webmap in order to take it offline. So yes you can have multiple basemaps on your device but you would need separate webmaps for each one you want to take offline. 

Let me know if you have further questions.

Carol

0 Kudos
CandiceOoi
New Contributor III

Hi CGhostine-esristaff,

Where is the base map saved in the device? Instead of using the Collector App, I am wondering if it's possible to delete the base map using Windows Explorer when I have my device plugged in to my computer.

Thank you!

Candice

0 Kudos