ArcCatalog forgetting Geoprocessing Options

Jump to solution
12-29-2013 12:44 PM
BillRichards
New Contributor II
In an attempt to sort out my previously posted issue, I discovered that even though I uncheck the "Enable Background Processing", ArcCatalog seems to occasionally forget that setting as well as the Editor and Debugger settings when I close and re-open ArcCatalog. Why is ArcCatalog behaving so erratically? Is this a time for an uninstall and re-install?

Win7 64bit
ArcGIS Desktop 10.1
Python 32bit installed with the installation...

Bill D. Richards
Geology/Geography
North Idaho College
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
I discovered that even though I uncheck the "Enable Background Processing", ArcCatalog seems to occasionally forget that setting as well as the Editor and Debugger settings when I close and re-open ArcCatalog.

A reinstall really should be your last resort, as it is major surgery on your desktop. These user settings are stored and managed on a per-user basis in the %APPDATA% folder and your HCKU registry keys, so a reinstall may not even have any effect!

In ArcMap, and ArcCatalog  geoprocessing options are written on exit - if you change them in ArcMap, this will change them for ArcCatalog as well (next startup). The last app to save "wins" -- this is another argument for not running multiple apps at once unless you have to.

The geoprocessing environment is handled differently: in ArcMap, these settings are saved in the map document, in ArcCatalog, they are saved when you close ArcCatalog. The ArcCatalog GP environment is used as the default when ArcMap creates a new map document.

I recommend closing all ArcGIS apps, (and making sure there are no "headless" versions running in task manager - the best fix for that is to log out and log in again, or maybe even restart). Then, try [thread=90079]resetting your application profile.[/thread]

I recommend doing this whenever you apply a service pack or update. And sometimes just every few months - just to keep things cleaned up!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Bill,

Are you running specific tools when the geoprocessing runs in the foreground?  Take a look at the section 'System tools may execute in foreground even when background is enabled' in the following link:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00210000003q000000
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
I discovered that even though I uncheck the "Enable Background Processing", ArcCatalog seems to occasionally forget that setting as well as the Editor and Debugger settings when I close and re-open ArcCatalog.

A reinstall really should be your last resort, as it is major surgery on your desktop. These user settings are stored and managed on a per-user basis in the %APPDATA% folder and your HCKU registry keys, so a reinstall may not even have any effect!

In ArcMap, and ArcCatalog  geoprocessing options are written on exit - if you change them in ArcMap, this will change them for ArcCatalog as well (next startup). The last app to save "wins" -- this is another argument for not running multiple apps at once unless you have to.

The geoprocessing environment is handled differently: in ArcMap, these settings are saved in the map document, in ArcCatalog, they are saved when you close ArcCatalog. The ArcCatalog GP environment is used as the default when ArcMap creates a new map document.

I recommend closing all ArcGIS apps, (and making sure there are no "headless" versions running in task manager - the best fix for that is to log out and log in again, or maybe even restart). Then, try [thread=90079]resetting your application profile.[/thread]

I recommend doing this whenever you apply a service pack or update. And sometimes just every few months - just to keep things cleaned up!
0 Kudos
BillRichards
New Contributor II

Thanks for the ideas.  By changing the environment in ArcMAP as well, the settings seem to be "sticking" . The application profile information might be a next resort if the issue returns --- As well, the "History" logs actually were invaluable in tracking down my python tool execution differences between a "debug" session vs. "run"....
0 Kudos