Near Table without using FID

Jump to solution
10-10-2013 03:48 AM
ToniBrugués
New Contributor
Hello,

I have 2 layers and I want to calculate the distance between the points of one layer and the points of the other (n to n). So I generate the near table but it uses FID field but I'd like to use another field. How can I do that?

thank you.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherBlinn1
Occasional Contributor III
I'm working with zip codes, so I'd like to use these zip codes instead of the ID

The near calculations are still valid, you just need to get your zip code values into the near table results.

You could use the Join Field to add the Zip Code field from each point feature class to the near results.  The FID's will match to the OID's of each point feature class.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Chris B.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChristopherBlinn1
Toni,

Why exactly would you like to use a different field?

Just let us know.

Thanks,
Chris B.
0 Kudos
ToniBrugués
New Contributor
Toni,

Why exactly would you like to use a different field?

Just let us know.

Thanks,
Chris B.

I'm working with zip codes, so I'd like to use these zip codes instead of the ID
0 Kudos
ChristopherBlinn1

The near calculations are still valid, you just need to get your zip code values into the near table results.

You could use the Join Field to add the Zip Code field from each point feature class to the near results.  The FID's will match to the OID's of each point feature class.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Chris B.
0 Kudos
ToniBrugués
New Contributor
Ok, my fault.

I thought about the join, but the opposite one, losing all the distances except one for each zip code.:rolleyes:
I need to focus!

thank you!
0 Kudos