joeldirish

Feature comparison scenario

Discussion created by joeldirish on Sep 6, 2013
Latest reply on Sep 9, 2013 by bharold-esristaff
I am trying to find differences among polygon features between two sets of data.  For the sake of simplicity, I drew a little diagram  .   Let's say there is a county that consists of four cities: Alpha Ville, Beta Ville, Gamma Ville, and Delta Ville.  In 2003, each city occupied a quadrant of the county.  Fast forward to 2013 and there have been some changes.  First, Gamma Ville has changed its name to Gummy Ville. Second, the coverage of Beta Ville and Delta Ville have shifted.

My diagram - and the portions highlighted in green and purple - show differences between the shapefiles.  These highlighted areas are the output I hope to achieve. 

What operations can I use to do this?  I tried Feature Compare (Data Management) because that very much sounds like what I intend, but I keep getting the error, "Table row counts are different".  However, I know that my comparison files will have different numbers of features; that is part of why I want to make the comparison, to see changes in existence, geometry, and/or names of all features.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Outcomes