Feature comparison scenario

09-06-2013 09:25 PM
JoelIrish
New Contributor
I am trying to find differences among polygon features between two sets of data.  For the sake of simplicity, I drew a little diagram  .   Let's say there is a county that consists of four cities: Alpha Ville, Beta Ville, Gamma Ville, and Delta Ville.  In 2003, each city occupied a quadrant of the county.  Fast forward to 2013 and there have been some changes.  First, Gamma Ville has changed its name to Gummy Ville. Second, the coverage of Beta Ville and Delta Ville have shifted.

My diagram - and the portions highlighted in green and purple - show differences between the shapefiles.  These highlighted areas are the output I hope to achieve. 

What operations can I use to do this?  I tried Feature Compare (Data Management) because that very much sounds like what I intend, but I keep getting the error, "Table row counts are different".  However, I know that my comparison files will have different numbers of features; that is part of why I want to make the comparison, to see changes in existence, geometry, and/or names of all features.

Thanks in advance for your help!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
JoelIrish
New Contributor
Try the union tool http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00080000000s000000

Thanks for replying, Luke.  The Union tool merges the two feature sets, but I want to highlight the differences, not obscure them. I also tried the Symmetrical Difference tool, but that only outputs the collective differences between the entire data sets.  I want to know where and how each feature has changed between sets. Hopefully, this intent comes through in the diagram I linked.
0 Kudos
TOMKONG
Occasional Contributor II
Thanks for replying, Luke.  The Union tool merges the two feature sets, but I want to highlight the differences, not obscure them. I also tried the Symmetrical Difference tool, but that only outputs the collective differences between the entire data sets.  I want to know where and how each feature has changed between sets. Hopefully, this intent comes through in the diagram I linked.

You need to intesect two feature classes, then summarize the output fields.
0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor
If you use the union tool, the output attribute table will contain all attributes from both input feature classes so can be used to identify areas that haven't changed and those that have,  and what they have changed to and from.
0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor
For example:

Time 1 (2003):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27282[/ATTACH]

Time 2 (2013):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27283[/ATTACH]

Changes 2003-2013:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27284[/ATTACH]

The difference image is the output of the Union tool and was symbolised using the "Categories"->"Unique values, many fields" renderer on the 2003 and 2013 name fields.
0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor
For example:

Time 1 (2003):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27285[/ATTACH]

Time 2 (2013):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27286[/ATTACH]

Changes 2003-2013:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27287[/ATTACH]

The difference image is the output of the Union tool and was symbolised using the "Categories"->"Unique values, many fields" renderer on the 2003 and 2013 name fields.
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi

The Data Interoperability extension has a couple of transformers, ChangeDetector and Matcher, that will do this job, allowing you to choose the combination of geometric and attribute difference you think is significant.

Regards
0 Kudos