updated Feb 20, 2018
This is to help anyone that may use the "lmutil" command line utility to check the status of concurrent license usage on a remote machine (i.e. from a local, non license manager (LM) machine). Several things have changed from the 9.3.1 LM to the v10 LM and minor changes are needed to get this to work (at least with the LM release with the beta/release candidate).
Syntax we used in 9.3.1
lmutil lmstat -a -c "\\<IP to out LM server>\Program Files\ESRI\License\arcgis9x\ArcINFO9.lic"
or "....\viewer9.lic". This command would list all the licenses available and in use for that particular LM server.
Syntax we need to use in version 10
lmutil lmstat -a -c "\\<IP to out LM server>\Program Files\ArcGIS\License10.0\bin\service.txt"
Beside the path/location and file name, the file format has also changed for the ArcGIS 10 license manager. They replaced the multiple <product>.lic files with the service.txt which makes it much easier when you have to lock the LM to a port (for firewall issues) --- one file to deal with instead of multiple. However, the one problem I ran into is that the default/generic "this_host" prevented the lmutil command from looking at the remote LM machine. Instead, it responded that the license manager was not running on my <current machine name>. The quick fix is to change "this_host" to your LM server's name or IP address in the services.txt file. At least that fixed it for me.
BTW - the command line syntax above assumes you are in a directory that can run lmutil, i.e.,either beacuse 1) it's in your path, 2) you have the lmutil.exe copied to your current directory, or 3) you are in the "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\License10.0\bin" directory.
This was logged as a "bug" with this work around as the solution:
[#NIM058540 The command "lmutil lmstat" does not function properly for remote systems in License Manager 10 ]
Edit the service.txt file as follows:
Old - "SERVER this_host ANY"
New - "SERVER <hostname> ANY"
Hopefully this will save someone else using the lmutil a little time when making the switch. -b
UPDATE (works with 10.4.x license manager too), now I just use:
lmutil lmstat -a -c @<servername>
with the @ sign, but <server> will be the location of your license manager. I have a copy of the lmutil,exe in the same folder as I create a chk_lic.bat file with the line above.
EDIT: February 2018. Someone was looking for the WhereDidAllTheLicensesGo by Julie Skuba (whose profile does not look active) on the ideas page Add new functionality to License Manager - Usage & Analysis Tools . It seems all the links for download of this tool are broken right now. I found a version from 2004 that I zipped, but didn't see a way to upload it to the ideas page, so I will add to this post for others. I am not the author of this script, and there may be other posts on the tweaks that are needed for newer LM versions...just posting here as a courtesy.