Select to view content in your preferred language

Labeling on layers and editing

10-15-2012 07:06 AM
Labels (1)
RobertZargarian
Deactivated User
Hi,
I am converting an ArcMap extension client application based on Arcobjects to ArcGIS Runtime WPF.
We have an .mxd file with labeling even defined in label Expressions in ArcMap. I Create an .mpk file from this .mxd in ArcMap.
When I add an ArcGISLocalDynamicMapServiceLayer from .mpk file than labeling works fine.
As I understood labeling is not supported with ArcGISLocafFeatureLayers. I am going to implement selecting and attribute and geometry editing on most of the layers in .mpk.
I consider to have ArcGISLocalDynamicMapServiceLayer in background for best rendering and create transparent ArcGISLocafFeatureLayers or GraphicsLayers for each layer.
What is the best practice here?

Thanks
Robert
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertZargarian
Deactivated User
Anybody have any idea how to preserve map labeling, the same as it is in .mxd, and have FeatureLayers or GraphicsLayers for editing on map?
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

The workflow for this is to create a LocalFeatureService, which will spawn both the feature service and the parent map service then add a ArcGISLocalDynamicMapServiceLayer for display using the local map service and add an ArcGISLocalFeatureLayer using the local feature service with the Mode property set to SelectionOnly.

There's a SilverLight sample which demonstrates this: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/silverlight-api/samples/start.htm#EditToolsSelectionOnly.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
RobertZargarian
Deactivated User
Hi
I have ArcGISLocalDynamicMapServiceLayer  and localFeatureLayers defined for every layer I want to edit.
This works fine when I make selection and display selection. But the problem is when for example user
selects a polygon and cuts it.
I cut selected polygon in localFeatureLayer. If I save changes in localFeatureLayer and update the
ArcGISLocalDynamicMapServiceLayer then it can work.
But how can I refresh ArcGISLocalDynamicMapServiceLayer in the background without saving changes
in localFeatureLayer.

Thanks
Robert
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

We are working on a labeling design which will eventually be rolled out across the ArcGIS Runtime SDKs (excluding WPF) - you can see a preview of this in the new ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET beta, although in the beta it is quite a limited API. Therefore we welcome input e.g.:
- Types of layers/objects you would like to label?
- Placement control you need?
- Display properties you would like to set?
- Behavior you would like the labels to exhibit?
- Interaction you expect to be able to have with labels in the map?

You can email me on mbranscomb@esri.com if you would prefer to contact me directly.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos