Select to view content in your preferred language

Have MapTips replaced labels?

11-08-2012 11:43 AM
Labels (1)
GeorgeFaraj
Frequent Contributor
I have not found anything about labeling in the Runtime SDK's documentation. The only thing related to it that I found is MapTips. Has this replaced labeling?

Loading a map package that contains a layer with labels (added through ArcMap) does show the labels correctly. But I haven't found any way to add or remove them using this SDK.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
George
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

There are a number of questions on the forum regarding labeling in the WPF SDK. As you have found, there is currently no API for labeling in the classic ArcGIS / ArcObjects / Maplex sense. Regarding labelling in the current WPF SDK - you can use MapTips / InfoWindows although these require some UI interaction to drive them. Alternatively you can use TextSymbols and can calculate the placement from the LabelPoints operation on the GeometryService task.

We are working on a labeling design which will eventually be rolled out across the ArcGIS Runtime SDKs - you can see a preview of this in the new ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET beta, although in the beta it is quite a limited API. Therefore we welcome input e.g.:
- Types of layers/objects you would like to label?
- Placement control you need?
- Display properties you would like to set?
- Behavior you would like the labels to exhibit?
- Interaction you expect to be able to have with labels in the map?

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos