Select to view content in your preferred language

feature labeling

06-14-2013 10:57 AM
Labels (1)
FrancoisGilbert
Deactivated User
Hello,

Is it possible with WPF to display a layer with a label that comes from a certain field in the feature table. I would like to take a look at the code sample that does this.

The thing that I need to do is to display a number of weather station and display the current value of the temperature at the weather station.

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
GeorgeFaraj
Frequent Contributor
Hello,

Is it possible with WPF to display a layer with a label that comes from a certain field in the feature table. I would like to take a look at the code sample that does this.

The thing that I need to do is to display a number of weather station and display the current value of the temperature at the weather station.

Thanks

You can use the GeometryService class to get the point where you can place a symbol (like a TextSymbol for text) for each feature you want. There isn't a really good labeling engine in the Runtime SDK yet, but I hear there are plans for one in the near future.

-George
0 Kudos
FrancoisGilbert
Deactivated User
Thanks George,

The feature labeling is a basic feature in GIS. This is way more basic than doing geoprocessing. I would like to know from ESRI what is the direction for the next release due this month (june 2013) before I embark into developping something that will be outdated after release 10.2.

p.s. I have tried to put a textblock inside a MarkerSymbol in WPF and this is working. But maybe 10.2 version have an easier way.

Regards

François
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

As per George's suggestion, you can use the GeometryService task to generate label points for features and display TextSymbols at those locations. But there currently is no labelling engine in the classic sense of ArcGIS and the Standard/Maplex label engines.

We are working on a labeling design which will eventually be rolled out across the ArcGIS Runtime SDKs (excluding WPF) - you can see a preview of this in the new ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET beta, although in the beta it is quite a limited API. Therefore we welcome input e.g.:
- Types of layers/objects you would like to label?
- Placement control you need?
- Display properties you would like to set?
- Behavior you would like the labels to exhibit?
- Interaction you expect to be able to have with labels in the map?

You can email me on mbranscomb@esri.com if you would prefer to contact me directly.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos