How do you use stand alone tables?

Jump to solution
09-28-2012 08:06 AM
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor
I'm looking for some guidance on how to proceed with a certain task I'd like to implement which would use a standalone table. My app works with Census data and so once the user clicks on a cenus tract, I'd like to load up some additional information (based on the census tract number) which is stored in a separate, stand alone table. That's what I want to do- now how do I do that?

After reviewing the API, I'm not sure how you "add" the table as a layer so that you can query it. The table will have a one to many relationship so I can't just join the table to my census tracts feature layer before serving it up as a service.

Thanks!
Steve
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
John/Mike,

Thanks for responding. My table is located in a FileGeoDatabase so I can certainly publish it via ArcGIS Server. How do I publish JUST the table in ArcGIS Server? I tried adding the table to a blank MXD and publishing the MXD but the table isn't listed in the published service.

Worst comes to worse, I could add the table into another existing map service and then access it through that service but I'd like to know how to publish a stand alone table.

I have run into the same issue.  I worked around it the same way you describe (by ensuring that the map that contained my non-spatial table also included at least one layer with spatial features).  I don't know if there is an easy way around this currently, since you need to have layers in your data frame when publishing the map from ArcMap.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
If your related table is accessible as a feature service, then you can add/update/delete records using applyEdits as you would with any other feature service layer.

Some of the apps published by the local government team do this.  For example, take a look at Land Use Public Comment or Citizen Service Reqeust applications.
0 Kudos
JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor
we also have a sample in the JS API Resource center for 1:M related table queries.

Query related records
http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/javascript/arcgis/help/jssamples/fl_query_related.html
0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor
John/Mike,

Thanks for responding. My table is located in a FileGeoDatabase so I can certainly publish it via ArcGIS Server. How do I publish JUST the table in ArcGIS Server? I tried adding the table to a blank MXD and publishing the MXD but the table isn't listed in the published service.

Worst comes to worse, I could add the table into another existing map service and then access it through that service but I'd like to know how to publish a stand alone table.
0 Kudos
JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor
these samples rely on the fact that you have set up the appropriate relationship between the feature class and related table in ArcGIS Desktop prior to publishing services.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Creating_a_simple_relationship_class/004t0...

as you can see from this REST service endpoint used in the sample i mentioned previously, both the layer and table are published.  this gives the feature layer the capability queryRelatedRecords

http://sampleserver3.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/Petroleum/KSPetro/MapServer/0/queryRelate...
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
John/Mike,

I have run into the same issue.  I worked around it the same way you describe (by ensuring that the map that contained my non-spatial table also included at least one layer with spatial features).  I don't know if there is an easy way around this currently, since you need to have layers in your data frame when publishing the map from ArcMap.
0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor
I decided to re-publish my service with the standalone table tucked inside it. Just seems like the easiest way to do it.

Thanks again for the ideas!
Steve
0 Kudos
YueWu1
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Steve,

I found this thread when I encountered the same issue.

There has been a NIM logged for the ability to publish a standalone table as a service: NIM084140 - Unable to share a map containing only a stand-alone table as service.

http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/role/beta10_1/TklNMDg0MTQw

Like you said, the current workaround is publish map document with table and include an empty, unchecked feature class and then will be able to publish/query the table as REST.

0 Kudos
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

I had a customer with a similar issue,

What I did to resolve this

Turn the nonspatial table into a Feature Class with a 'dummy' point

Publish the service with WFS enabled

Using the Interopablity Connection I managed to view the Attribute Table Successfully in the map.

0 Kudos