Use ModelBuilder to create polygons from points and add to a polygon feature class

06-14-2012 09:47 AM
AmyKlug
Occasional Contributor III
I am using ModelBuilder to create polygons from a large point file by selecting certain criteria. I was able to have ModelBuilder select certain points with criteria by iterating feature selection, and copy (features) those into point feature classes, create polygon layers from point feature classes, and create buffer feature classes, then I would be able to merge the polygon and buffer feature classes into a polygon layer for each. Using this method I am creating 1700 feature classes for each part of the process (1700x3=5,100 feature clases) so it's very time/space consuming. I would like to select points with a unique criteria, create the polygons and have them copied into a *single polygon featureclass (*this seems to be the tricky part), then i could just buffer all the polygons at one time. not sure if this is possible in ModelBuilder, ideas?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor
To put all the feature classes together in one feature class use the append tool in the same model as the iterator.

Please can you share a snapshot or your actual model to suggest  more/alternative approach?
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
Before the append tool is used, you can look into the Collect Values tool.  What this tool does is creates a list of inputs that can then be used as inputs to a successive tool.  For example, run your iteration to select for whatever features you need to, and have that model end with the Collect Values tool.  This should create a list of inputs that are maintained in memory.  You can integrate this model in another and use the append or merge tool in that final model to create a final feature class with all selections.
0 Kudos
AmyKlug
To put all the feature classes together in one feature class use the append tool in the same model as the iterator.

Please can you share a snapshot or your actual model to suggest  more/alternative approach?

Hi, I dont really want to create individual feature classes in the first place, just have the polygons added into one feature class.

I uploaded a snapshot, Thanks!
0 Kudos
AmyKlug
Before the append tool is used, you can look into the Collect Values tool.  What this tool does is creates a list of inputs that can then be used as inputs to a successive tool.  For example, run your iteration to select for whatever features you need to, and have that model end with the Collect Values tool.  This should create a list of inputs that are maintained in memory.  You can integrate this model in another and use the append or merge tool in that final model to create a final feature class with all selections.

this is a great tip for the future, thanks. My mistake was when creating polygons with minimum bounding not selecting the "group" option, I didn't need to select and collect.
0 Kudos
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor
You can use the Collect Values tool in the same model as the iterator and then this model in another model as the link shared by j.quinn shows.

Or you can use the Append tool directly in the model with the iterator without the Collect Values tool. Both Append and Merge require a multivalue input, but with Append tool you are only appending the table to the target dataset and therefore you can run it as many times as the iterator runs . On each run you will only get one feature class/table being appended to the target thus eliminating the use of Clollect Value tool.

Only you have to do some extra work in creating a target dataset which has the schema containing all possible fields that your feature classes could have.
0 Kudos
AmyKlug
You can use the Collect Values tool in the same model as the iterator and then this model in another model as the link shared by j.quinn shows.

Or you can use the Append tool directly in the model with the iterator without the Collect Values tool. Both Append and Merge require a multivalue input, but with Append tool you are only appending the table to the target dataset and therefore you can run it as many times as the iterator runs . On each run you will only get one feature class/table being appended to the target thus eliminating the use of Clollect Value tool.

Only you have to do some extra work in creating a target dataset which has the schema containing all possible fields that your feature classes could have.

I found another (very easy) way to do this without using ModelBuilder.

the problem with using append and collect was I still had to create the polygons using selected points and to do that I had to create the feature class because the "minimum bounding geometry" tool did not accept the "collect values" output as it's input. I still might need to create a separate feature class for each polygon so the model I currently have will work for that.
0 Kudos