split by attribute

11-04-2011 03:29 AM
TilottamaGhosh
New Contributor III
Hi,

Is there a way of splitting a shapefile (point, line or polygon) on the basis of a particular field in the attribute table? I have a point shapefile which shows Points of Interests on the basis of different categories. I want to split the shapefile on the basis of those categories, so that I get separate point shapefile for each of those categories. Is there an inbuilt tool in ArcGIS 10 for that? The split tool won't help as it does it on the basis of another feature class, and that is not what I am looking for. I found this tool through my search online http://www.umesc.usgs.gov/management/dss/split_by_attribute_tool.html, but couldn't make it work. I am looking for a tool like this. Any kind of help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tilo
0 Kudos
11 Replies
GerryGabrisch
Occasional Contributor III
Here is a Python script to do just that...
http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=14127
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dan,

Do you remember what this tool was? Since the website was updated the link no longer works.

Thanks,

Sarah

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

​Sarah...just checked the link myself...it worked recently, don't know what is happending now, sorry

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

No worries Dan! Thanks for the response

0 Kudos
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor
In ModelBuilder try Iterate Feature Selection or Iterate Row Selection iterators.
0 Kudos
TilottamaGhosh
New Contributor III
Hi,

Thanks so much for all your responses. I downloaded the tool from the ArcGIS resource gallery that Dan suggested and it worked perfectly. However, I will also try the methods suggested by gabrisch and Shitij. Thanks a bunch!

Thanks,

Tilo
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Selecting by attribute value and exporting to a new feature class wont work?

When I was in college programmable calculators were just hitting the scene.  A group of us approached our calculus professor and asked if we could use them in class.  He said : " Sure.  But you still need to learn the calculus.  Don't become a slave to the machine..."   Man, that guy was cool.

Translated: you still need to know data base manipulation, geographic principles and cartography.  Thinking and figuring out a solution are still valuable skills all these years later.....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus