Google Maps V3 API Support

04-06-2011 10:39 AM
BillMyers
New Contributor II
I just found out from my sales rep in the Olympia regional office, that Esri does not plan to support the Google Map V3 API.  The V2 API has been deprecated since last May.  I think this is a huge mistake.  It also seems very protective and short-sighted on their part.  I???d like the user community to weigh in here.
William H Myers
0 Kudos
4 Replies
HemingZhu
Occasional Contributor III
I just found out from my sales rep in the Olympia regional office, that Esri does not plan to support the Google Map V3 API.  The V2 API has been deprecated since last May.  I think this is a huge mistake.  It also seems very protective and short-sighted on their part.  I�??d like the user community to weigh in here.

If what you said is true, that is very unfortunate. From my personal development expriences, ArcGIS JavaScript Extension for the Google Maps API is still my favorite among ESRI JS APIs. It mashes with Google Map API in such a way that it enriches the ESRI GIS functionalities with variety of Google Map services (streeview, traffic, directions,  weather, local search, 3D in Google Earth plug in... to name just a few). ESRI ought to embrace it other than shy away from it.
0 Kudos
BillMyers
New Contributor II
I totally agree.  The Google Maps API is especially good for public facing websites �?? it�??s fast, familiar and easy to use.  I�??m not sure what Esri is thinking here.
William H Myers
0 Kudos
BenFousek
Google and ESRI are in some kind of GIS power struggle. I'm not sure what it's about. I suppose you could find some answers on the internet. I asked an ESRI rep about it at a class and the very question made him uncomfortable. You will note that the ArcGIS JS API can consume Bing's map tiles. This is how I see it; ESRI and Microsoft are friends while Google and Microsoft aren't, and all of them are tech giants. Draw your own conclusions.

ArcGIS Extension for the Google Maps API is simple and beautiful, however it has some limitations. Concerning GMaps v3, the API itself has changed to MVC and is hard to work with for in-depth GIS web app development. Google Code has a code library called google-maps-utility-library-v3 which can be found here. While it works well for adding dynamic layers, etc; it has some problems. The biggest one is you cannot print maps with overlays on. I suppose it works well enough for simple maps. I personally wouldn't spend a second with it, unless you like being disappointed.

I've been deploying ArcGIS Server and building full functioning web-based GIS applications for a few years now. Here's my advice: switch to ArcGIS JS API or Flex. Both are way more powerful. ArcGIS JS API is particularly powerful when deployed with asp.net instead of just html. Even better if your data is stored in ArcSDE. The web-based GIS application possibilities are endless.

But you say you want GMap tiles? You can have it. Find a library here that allows you to consume Gmap tiles with ArcGIS JS API. This is a simple example. To make it work well in a complex application you have to apply some tweaks.
0 Kudos
HemingZhu
Google and ESRI are in some kind of GIS power struggle. I'm not sure what it's about. I suppose you could find some answers on the internet. I asked an ESRI rep about it at a class and the very question made him uncomfortable. You will note that the ArcGIS JS API can consume Bing's map tiles. This is how I see it; ESRI and Microsoft are friends while Google and Microsoft aren't, and all of them are tech giants. Draw your own conclusions.

ArcGIS Extension for the Google Maps API is simple and beautiful, however it has some limitations. Concerning GMaps v3, the API itself has changed to MVC and is hard to work with for in-depth GIS web app development. Google Code has a code library called google-maps-utility-library-v3 which can be found here. While it works well for adding dynamic layers, etc; it has some problems. The biggest one is you cannot print maps with overlays on. I suppose it works well enough for simple maps. I personally wouldn't spend a second with it, unless you like being disappointed.

I've been deploying ArcGIS Server and building full functioning web-based GIS applications for a few years now. Here's my advice: switch to ArcGIS JS API or Flex. Both are way more powerful. ArcGIS JS API is particularly powerful when deployed with asp.net instead of just html. Even better if your data is stored in ArcSDE. The web-based GIS application possibilities are endless.

But you say you want GMap tiles? You can have it. Find a library here that allows you to consume Gmap tiles with ArcGIS JS API. This is a simple example. To make it work well in a complex application you have to apply some tweaks.

I wouldn't say ESIR GIS application possibilities are endless. How about switch base maps between 2D and 3D, real time traffic, etc. The point here is Google map complements ESRI GIS. Google map APIs concentrate on providing informative data to the public while ESRI Web api are powerful on analysis and solving specific GIS related issues. They complete each other...
0 Kudos