Pro 2.6.0 geometry calculation error

07-30-2020 01:11 PM
GeorgeSprehn
New Contributor II

At Pro 2.6.0 the calculated geometry of a feature class attribute is incorrect. A rectangle 66’ x 660’ is 1 acre (43,560 sq. ft.), although, the calculation by right-clicking the attribute and calculating...

Property: Area
Area Unit: Acres
Coordinate System: Current Map

produces an incorrect calculation. The same procedure was worked in a 2.5 version and the calculation is correct.

(The map measure tool calculates accurately in both versions.)

Exhibit:

Attribute calculation same feature class in v. 2.6 and 2.5
GDB Feature class
Spatial ref: NAD 1983 HARN StatePlane Florida West FIPS 0902 (US FEET)
v. 2.6 of polygon feature 66’x660’ = 10.7639 ac. (468,875 sq. ft.)  incorrect
v. 2.5 same polygon = 1.0 ac. (43,559.93 sq. ft.) correct
See image capture. The two attributes far right are in v.2.5
Attribute table capture shows calculations in v.2.6 and 2.5

Image: screen capture attribute table shows area calculations using Pro 2.6 and 2.5. The two attributes far right are in v.2.5

Let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks.

13 Replies
EricCarlton
New Contributor II

I've encountered this same issue with NC State Plane.  Seems to be off by a factor of 10.

JeffOrton
New Contributor II

I get the same problem calculating Acres in NAD_1983_2011_StatePlane_California_IV_FIPS_0404_Ft_US and NAD_1983_California_Teale_Albers_FtUS but not NAD_1983_UTM_Zone_11N.  The test polygon is 19.198 Acres calculates as 206.564 acres. 

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There are no reports on Technical support as bugs that meet your cases.

Esri Support | ArcGIS Technical Support 

Did anyone here file a case? and has a case number?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
GeorgeSprehn
New Contributor II

Re case number requested by Dan Patterson,

Esri Case #02608276 - ArcGIS Pro 2.6 \\ Calculate Geometry Values Incorrect; Different from Pro 2.5

"...that this defect has been approved through our review process, and is now in the hands of the Product Team."

0 Kudos
BradleyThompson1
Esri Contributor

Good afternoon y'all,

We've got the following defect for this issue in our systems right now:

BUG-000132660 - Incorrect values of the area calculated from the 'Calculate Geometry Attributes' tool in ArcGIS Pro.

This is being fixed for Pro 2.6.1. If you're currently utilizing Pro 2.6, you can work around this behavior by using the 'Field Calculator' in lieu of the 'CGA' GP tool with the following expression: !shape.area@acres!

That expression will provide the correct area measurement and will avoid the necessity to backtrack to Pro 2.5. 

LonSharp
Occasional Contributor II

I see the bug you mentioned is specific to area calculations.   What about length and x/y calcs?   Those are returning incorrect numbers as well.  

BradleyThompson1
Esri Contributor

Lon - yes, that information was also included in the defect's notes. Safe to assume at the moment that both will be resolved & back to normal at 2.6.1. 

BradAllen1
New Contributor

Is there any target for the 2.6.1 release to correct this?

Brad

0 Kudos
Joseph_Kinyon
Occasional Contributor II

Brad,

I was able to update with release 2.6.1 on Tuesday September 1st and it now works correctly for me.

Joe

0 Kudos