Pro 2.6.0 geometry calculation error

07-30-2020 01:11 PM
GeorgeSprehn
New Contributor II

At Pro 2.6.0 the calculated geometry of a feature class attribute is incorrect. A rectangle 66’ x 660’ is 1 acre (43,560 sq. ft.), although, the calculation by right-clicking the attribute and calculating...

Property: Area
Area Unit: Acres
Coordinate System: Current Map

produces an incorrect calculation. The same procedure was worked in a 2.5 version and the calculation is correct.

(The map measure tool calculates accurately in both versions.)

Exhibit:

Attribute calculation same feature class in v. 2.6 and 2.5
GDB Feature class
Spatial ref: NAD 1983 HARN StatePlane Florida West FIPS 0902 (US FEET)
v. 2.6 of polygon feature 66’x660’ = 10.7639 ac. (468,875 sq. ft.)  incorrect
v. 2.5 same polygon = 1.0 ac. (43,559.93 sq. ft.) correct
See image capture. The two attributes far right are in v.2.5
Attribute table capture shows calculations in v.2.6 and 2.5

Image: screen capture attribute table shows area calculations using Pro 2.6 and 2.5. The two attributes far right are in v.2.5

Let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks.

13 Replies
BradAllen1
New Contributor

Thank you

0 Kudos
Joseph_Kinyon
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Brad! That is exactly the problem we've been troubleshooting on a script that had worked fine before.
If you're calculating acres of burned areas for recent fire maps recently, double check your results from scripts and models since upgrade.

0 Kudos
PaulSLowrey
New Contributor

I am having the exact same problem, except I just upgraded to 2.7.3!  The calculated values are off by about six decimal places.
The expression (adjusted for length = !shape.length@meters!) in field calculator DID return correct length values.  This expression: !shape.area@squaremeters! also returned correct area values.

If this was being fixed for Pro 2.6.1, shouldn't it be fixed for 2.7.3 as well?  Did the error get reintroduced?

NicoleBraun
New Contributor II

This bug is REALLY disappointing coming from ESRI. Unfortunately, I have been at the older version of Pro for a while, have made numerous geometry calculations for projects and official documents at my agency. Glad I came across this post so I could upgrade and fix my many incorrect calculations. 

0 Kudos