I have a distributed collaboration scenario and I want to make sure that I am on the right track in understanding the limitations correctly.
Question 1: It appears to me that when you have a feature layer that is published for collaboration you can only enable editing on the side where you initially publish it. Is that correct? So if you publish to ArcGIS Enterprise, you enable editing there and cannot enable editing in AGOL, and vice-versa.
Question 2: Is it true that you cannot have a “hosted” feature layer in AGOL sync to a “user managed” ArcGIS Enterprise feature service with data residing in SQL? You can only sync to an “ArcGIS managed” feature layer in Portal?
My preferred workflow will not work for what I am trying to accomplish:
- Publish a “user-managed” feature service with data referenced in a SQL geodatabase into a federated ArcGIS Enterprise Portal.
- Using distributed collaboration, have that data sync to a “hosted” feature layer on AGOL.
- My editing requirements are one-way, but I want the editing to be done on the destination “hosted” feature layer in AGOL, not on the initially-published Enterprise SQL feature service.
- When I set this up, the data synched from Enterprise to AGOL, but then I was not able to enable editing on the “hosted” feature layer in AGOL. The only thing I could do is disable editing in Enterprise.
- Publish a “hosted” feature layer directly to AGOL and enable editing.
- Using distributed collaboration, have that data sync to a “user-managed” feature service with data referenced in SQL. This feature service does not need to have editing enabled, it can be read-only.
- The Esri distributed collaboration Q&A suggests this workflow is not possible.
Question: Can I copy data from ArcGIS Online into my enterprise geodatabase?
Answer: No. Destination layers within a collaboration must be hosted layers from ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise.
- As I understand that answer: the sync must be to an “ArcGIS managed” hosted feature layer in Portal. It cannot be a “user managed” feature service with data in SQL.
Software used: ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1.
I would greatly appreciate any feedback!