SQL Edits through Published Service

10-18-2019 07:49 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a new enterprise deployment and am trying to figure out how to configure this so that when we publish a feature service to portal, edits made to the service come back into our SQL. I was told this is done with server having a version in the SQL? Am I supposed to create that version or does Server create it? I did a test already and I could edit the feature service but the edits weren't coming back into the sql data from what I could tell. When I viewed the versions on the SQL database to try and review the edits made in the service, I didn't see anything server-related, only the one child version I created for myself.

Am I supposed to somehow have the portal user in the SQL database? Or just give the domain user for the server access?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Nathan,

> I have a new enterprise deployment and am trying to figure out how to configure this so that when we publish a feature service to portal, edits made to the service come back into our SQL. 

Just to be clear, I believe you're asking how to have data stored in your SQL Server database - be accessed and editable as a feature service via Portal for ArcGIS, is that correct?

If yes, you can enable your SQL Server database to be an enterprise geodatabase - this will allow you to store all of your GIS data in it as feature classes. You can then use ArcGIS Pro/ArcMap to access the feature classes from the enterprise geodatabase and share/publish them as feature services. The feature services can be registered with Portal for ArcGIS to become feature layers. These feature layers can then be accessed by the various ArcGIS client apps - when edits are made, these will be applied directly to the data stored back in the enterprise geodatabase.

Feature services—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hope this helps,