Can I use custom polygons as boundaries in Power BI?

09-05-2019 06:15 AM
VinceHamilton1
New Contributor

I want to use room numbers as the location in Power BI.  Is there a way to use a location field to link the polygon in the feature service to the Power BI data?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
YoavRappaport
Occasional Contributor

Vince:  You can publish custom boundaries to AGOL and bring them into PBI as either public data or as your private corporate data (each user must have an AGOL account to view those that are not public). To the best of my understanding the answer is no to selecting the poly by attribute. You can select the poly using the reference layer selector tool (limited to 250 results). You could create centroids of your rooms and select the points using your filters and have the rooms as reference layer. Unfortunately you cannot label the rooms using the points. You could create labels as polygons, but that will no adjust to scale, so not an ideal labeling technique. We wait for Esri to open up for selecting reference layer polygons by attribute, that would be so nice, we can only dream of this.

0 Kudos
VinceHamilton1
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply Yoav,

That is what I had determined as well.  If Microsoft is going to use geocoding for location, maybe they could let us use a custom geocoding locator and select the polygons that way. Oh well, just have to drop the points on using LL for now.  Have a great day.

0 Kudos
YoavRappaport
Occasional Contributor

Vince: There is another option which is using the Shape "map" feature of PBI. You can convert to a graphics layer with attributes and use it that way. Use Shape maps in Power BI Desktop (Preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

I also think there is a custom visual that can do that too. 

0 Kudos