Jagged Hosted Scene Layer

03-26-2019 01:16 AM
NielsGerrits
New Contributor II

Just getting started with WebScenes so no expert level knowledge here.

What I have is an Autodesk Civil3D file containing solids.

Converted those to Multipatche featureclasses in a file geodatabase using FME Desktop 2018.

In ArcGIS Pro 2.3.1 I created a local scene and imported the Multipatch featureclass. This works great as shown below.

Next I used "Create 3D Object Scene Layer Package" to export a .slpk and Uploaded to ArcGIS Online.

Published to Hosted Scene Layer. This time the result is not what I hoped for.

Using "Validate Scene Layer Package" I tried to understand what went wrong. The log:

ValidateSceneLayerPackage
File: .slpk
Date: Tue Mar 26 08:11:22 2019

Metadata.json validation:
No issues were detected.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3dSceneLayer.json validation:
Warning: Missing Value:
ellipsoid
attributeValues
Information: Deprecated:
ZFactor
Statistics validation:
No issues were detected.
Node validation:
Error: Missing Value:
For node 0 could not get property textureDefinitions.
For node 1 could not get property textureDefinitions.
For node 2 could not get property textureDefinitions.
For node 3 could not get property textureDefinitions.
For node 4 could not get property textureDefinitions.
For node 5 could not get property textureDefinitions.
For node 6 could not get property textureDefinitions.
For node 7 could not get property textureDefinitions.
For node 8 could not get property textureDefinitions.
For node 9 could not get property textureDefinitions.
For node 10 could not get property textureDefinitions.
For node 11 could not get property textureDefinitions.
Warning: Invalid Value:
The mbs of node 0 extends outside the mbs of its parent, node root, by 3194556% of the radius of the mbs of its parent (10452026,65 meters).
The mbs of node 1 extends outside the mbs of its parent, node root, by 3837928% of the radius of the mbs of its parent (12557026,71 meters).
The mbs of node 2 extends outside the mbs of its parent, node root, by 3685386% of the radius of the mbs of its parent (12057936,92 meters).
The mbs of node 3 extends outside the mbs of its parent, node root, by 3865995% of the radius of the mbs of its parent (12648856,30 meters).
The mbs of node 4 extends outside the mbs of its parent, node root, by 3684357% of the radius of the mbs of its parent (12054567,89 meters).
The mbs of node 5 extends outside the mbs of its parent, node root, by 3377079% of the radius of the mbs of its parent (11049208,16 meters).
The mbs of node 6 extends outside the mbs of its parent, node root, by 366993% of the radius of the mbs of its parent (1200737,58 meters).
The mbs of node 7 extends outside the mbs of its parent, node root, by 219030% of the radius of the mbs of its parent (716626,61 meters).
The mbs of node 8 extends outside the mbs of its parent, node root, by 686159% of the radius of the mbs of its parent (2244993,32 meters).
The mbs of node 9 extends outside the mbs of its parent, node root, by 372014% of the radius of the mbs of its parent (1217164,09 meters).
The mbs of node 10 extends outside the mbs of its parent, node root, by 55711% of the radius of the mbs of its parent (182276,45 meters).
The mbs of node 11 extends outside the mbs of its parent, node root, by 1022609% of the radius of the mbs of its parent (3345796,61 meters).
END OF VALIDATION REPORT

Did google "extends outside the mbs of its parent" but only found my own question on SE. I suspect it has to do with the proportions of the objects and the level of detail, but did not trip over guidelines. Somewhere in the model the more compact objects visualise correct where the long objects don't.

What am I doing wrong and how do I solve this? Thanks!

***update 2019-03-27***

Added file geodatabase with multipatch featureclass to test.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Niels,

Are you able to share the geodatabase with the feature class so we can take a deeper look at this on our end?

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
NielsGerrits
New Contributor II

Hey Andrew Johnson‌ thanks for your quick response. I attached it to the original topic. Thanks for looking.

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for providing the data. I'll take a look at this and get back to you as soon as I have some more information.

-Andrew

Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

We've made some enhancements under the hood in 2.4 so I went ahead and created the slpk in 2.4 and consumed it in ArcGIS Pro and the Scene Viewer in ArcGIS Online and it looks significantly better. I attached the slpk. Can you take a look and confirm that everything looks good?

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
NielsGerrits
New Contributor II

Hey Andrew Johnson this looks like expected, thanks!

Couple of things:

- If I validate the slpk in Pro 2.3.2 it still returns the "mbs of node 10 extends outside the mbs of its parent" errors. Can you point me to a place where I can understand what this means?

- How do I reproduce this? If in ArcGIS Pro 2.4, Can you say when this will be released?

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Niels,

We investigated this and it looks like there is a lot of z-fighting occurring with this particular dataset. In 2.4 we enhanced the tool to better handle these types of situations. As of right now the only way to remedy this is to utilize the new enhancements at 2.4. ArcGIS Pro 2.4 will be released in June.

If you want a deep dive on the i3s specification the doc can be found here https://github.com/Esri/i3s-spec/blob/master/format/Indexed%203d%20Scene%20Layer%20Format%20Specific... 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

thanks,

Andrew