AnsweredAssumed Answered

Geolocator script / app using custom polygons / areas?

Question asked by cbfollettdepaul on Feb 6, 2019
Latest reply on Feb 15, 2019 by sbritt-esristaff

Hello all,

I'm interested in creating a script (or model) that would take a table of addresses and geo-code, then append the attribute data of polygon features it is within. Or in other words, let's say we have a list of addresses in a table, and we want to update the table with the city wards it is within.

Now I think I'd do it like this if it weren't a model / script:
- geocode the addresses

- use spatial join to a wards shapefile

- update the table with the values from the spatial join

I don't think this is the best approach if I am turning this into a script, though. 

I've been reading through the documentation for address geolocators, and if I'm understanding right, it may be possible to build a custom geolocator using my own shapefiles (wards, etc.) In that case, it would be really convenient to build this into an online service hosted through ArcGIS Online / GIS Server that people could upload say, a CSV of addresses, and then have it returned back to them with the ward information appended. Or, a local script that could be run without too much understanding of ArcMap. 

I'm wondering if there is any avenue to making such a tool / script that I might be missing, or if I'm on the right track in looking into a custom address geolocator. The documentation does not yet make it clear to me how to use my own custom boundaries when making a custom/composite geolocator. 

Thank you,

Outcomes