Displaying Single Year of Data in Time Aware Map

01-23-2019 10:20 AM
CatherineWargo
New Contributor II

Hi all

I made a time enabled map of data that is the yearly average and thanks to Bushtel Admin posting a workaround was able to edit the interval on the time slider widget so it has the same start time and end time allowing me to display a single year's data at a time. When I go to make the Time Aware app so I can insert my map into a StoryMap however the time slider widget defaults to showing an interval which means it's showing two years of data at a time.

Is there any way to make it so the time slider widget in the only displays a single year's data at a time?

13 Replies
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Is your Time Aware app public? If so can you share the link so we can take a look. The Time Aware app should read the settings specified in the layer/map. 

0 Kudos
CatherineWargo
New Contributor II

Hi Kelly

This is my time-enabled webmap. As you can see at the bottom the slider only shows the first year (1980).

When I use this map in the Time Aware app template this is the result.

Each year needs to be displayed independently, which there really doesn't seem to be an easy way to do.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

It looks like your web map is currently set to display the data in 4 year chunks. If you look at the time settings then expand the advanced settings section you can see that under Time Display it lists 4 years as the length of one time interval. If you modify this to a 1 year interval this is how it would look in the app: 

http://www.arcgis.com/apps/TimeAware/index.html?appid=44f7f5ccd90e49f5aefa236681782603 

CatherineWargo
New Contributor II

Thank you Kelly.

The problem is my maps are spaced in 4 year intervals- if you play the animation you'll see the map go blank for 1981, 1982, and 1983. I have data from 1979-2016, but the file containing all of the years is incredibly big thus slow to load; here's a map with all the years: http://arcg.is/1OeTmS  

Placing this map into the Time Aware application presents the same issue as before: there is a one year interval on the time slider widget, thus the map shows data from 1979 and 1980 at the start. http://osugisci.maps.arcgis.com/apps/TimeAware/index.html?appid=30121fddb92347bc99d57398bbebd18a 

Each year needs to be displayed independently because progressively displaying the data results in the maps not fully loading during the animation, thus the interval displayed needs to always equal 0. This does not appear to be possible in the Time Aware mapping application. Is there a way for the two thumbs on the slider to be locked together so to speak so that when the end time thumb is moved manually along the slider it does not create an interval? Specifying the thumbcount as 1 in the json changes the map to progressively display data by year, which again does not work with this data.

0 Kudos
BushtelAdmin
New Contributor III

Hi Catherine

I'm far from an expert and I don't think the template / slider widget currently does what you want.

Can you just use the original web map in your Story Map?

If sticking with the Time template, you may be able to add text to the Story Map to suggest the end user collapse the time interval on the slider, though very messy and unlikely to be followed.

You could try the time slider widget within a web mapping application, though the slider behaves similarly (the same?).

To get around the interval at the start of the slider, we have the start time set to the end time.

It removed the interval and still confusing to end users as when they hit the start / play button nothing happens

Hoping one day will be fixed!

0 Kudos
CatherineWargo
New Contributor II

If there is another way to include time enabled data in a Story Map I have not seen it, and if loaded into the Story Map as a map there is no time slider. 

0 Kudos
BushtelAdmin
New Contributor III

My bad ... you are correct.

Was confused with the different variations we have.

0 Kudos
CatherineWargo
New Contributor II

No worries. Like you said there are many different variations possible.

0 Kudos
Centre_de_compétenceSITG
New Contributor

Hi, we had the same problem with the Time Aware template where it seems impossible to force the time slider to filter the data on a single year or "time unit" (tick mark). To resolve this behavior and force the filter to show the data "per year" only, we added some CSS in the template's configuration to hide the two draggable elements. This should do the trick!

In the Application's theme tabs, you can add some custom CSS at the end. Just add this code in the text input :

div.dijitSliderMoveable { display:none; }

Then you can choose to display only the start or the end date for our case.

time slider‌ time aware app