Invalid URL

11-21-2018 05:33 AM
BrianWebb3
New Contributor III

Does anyone receive an error when downloading a map for offline use in Portal? We have multiple maps pointed to ArcGIS online tile imagery. We used the steps to provide this access to aerial imagery using this url: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/collector/windows/create-maps/offline-map-prep.htm

The error reads "Invalid URL"

The map download failure seems to be intermittent. For example, these downloads for offline use were working up until this week with no issue. This week, suddenly we are receiving errors on our maps when trying to download.

Some users are able to download without issue though...here are some of the successes and failures:

Successes

Download fine using iPad or iPhone on wifi connection using ISP WOW

Download fine using iPhone using Sprint LTE

Failures

Download failed using same iPhone above, only on wifi using ISP Spectrum Time Warner

Download failed using iPad using ISP Spectrum Time Warner

Download failed using iPad using TMobile LTE

Then, late last night, around 11 EST the failure with the iPad and iPhone connected to wifi Spectrum, worked fine. I was trying to download in multiple maps in the same general area all through testing.  Now the error has returned.

Has anyone else experienced this lately? Is it related to ISPs? This is something new that I have not experienced before.

Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
TimothyMichael
Occasional Contributor II

Brian,

I started seeing this error today with an organization that I work with.  We are using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6, and using Collector on Android devices (various Samsung devices).  I'm not seeing any relevant errors in the Portal or Server logs, so I'm not sure what URL is invalid.  I have tried reinstalling Collector, and re-applying the ArcGIS Online credentials to the base map item in portal.  I have also tried different wireless networks, changing download extents, level of detail, etc. 

--Tim

0 Kudos
BrianWebb3
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response Tim.

I have an open case with ESRI currently for this but in my opinion it is related to the tile packages for the basemaps. I have multiple maps with different base maps that have similar invalid URL errors. These were all working a few weeks ago. No errors on the server logs that I can see when the invalid URL error pops up.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Brian

0 Kudos
TimothyMichael

Thanks Brian, I also opened a support case for this issue and should be working with an analyst this afternoon.  In my case I am receiving the Invalid URL error when using the Esri Topographic and World Imagery base map choices, both on my Android tablet and on an iPad.  

--Tim

0 Kudos
NLA-ICTNLA-ICT
New Contributor II

Hi Timothy,

Did you find a solution to this issue? We are experiencing similar issue with collector and taking maps offline. Please note, this is affecting maps which were previously working and have been taken offline in the pass.

0 Kudos
BrendanBladdick3
Esri Contributor

Which version of collector have you tried? 18.0.2, 18.0.3 or Aurora? Are you using iOS or Android?

0 Kudos
NLA-ICTNLA-ICT
New Contributor II

We are using Version 19.0.3 build 1033 on Android devices. Now this is the funny part, we have been plague with this issue all of this week. So much so that we had to cancelled all field data collection. However, I opened a support case but was still researching to see if there was a solution. Just now when you asked what version of collector, I signed in, checked the version and tried downloading the map again. I was able to do so, the invalid URL error seems to have disappeared. I cannot say how this was resolved as I didn't do anything from my side. I am hoping it will continue to work as taking maps offline is a major part of our operation'

0 Kudos
NLA-ICTNLA-ICT
New Contributor II

Now we are back where we started....The download feature works for some maps. However, for others, I am still getting the 'failed to download with message invalid URL'.

0 Kudos
TimothyMichael

In my case I worked with two different support analysts to troubleshoot the issue but in the end the issue just kind of 'went away' and we were able to download Esri basemaps for every project we tried.  If you still have your support case open and would like to reference mine for the sake of additional information, it was #02227979.  In my case I was getting the error using Collector on Andriod and iOS, including the new Aurora release for iOS.

--Tim

0 Kudos
NLA-ICTNLA-ICT
New Contributor II

Hi Timothy,

Thanks much for your reply. A team representing ESRI at the local level here in Jamaica will be visiting with us tomorrow to investigate this issue. Funny enough, similarly to your case, the issue seems to have ‘resolved itself’ and we are able to download ESRI basemaps now. However, I am hoping they can shed some light by pinpointing the underlying problem why this occurred in the first place.

Regards,

Kenroy Scarlett

Manager, Information Services

Ext. 4026

National Land Agency

23 1/2 Charles Street

Kingston

Mobile: (876) 371-2861

0 Kudos