Is it possible to create a read only map for use with the Collector App

Jump to solution
01-07-2020 05:54 AM
HuwConnick
New Contributor II

Hi,

I want to create a map with layers that field workers can use to see where they are in relation to features but I dont want them to be able to edit or change them. Its my understanding that 'Enable Editing' has to be checked to allow a feature layer to be usable in Collector?

Thanks for your help....

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

If you just want to work with maps without editing those layers I would recommend using Explorer. Explorer is a read only application available on iOS, Android and Windows and lets you use any map independent of the edibility of the layers in that map.

What platform are you using currently?

-Brent

View solution in original post

3 Replies
WilliamGreen1
New Contributor II

I think the below requirements are needed for the map to show in collector:

• All layers on map need to have 'Enable Sync' checked in the feature's settings page
  • At least one layer needs to have 'Enable editing' checked in the feature's settings page

To get what you are wanting (offline map, no editing), I think you need to:

1. Choose 'Enable editing' on one layer (the least critical maybe, and I would limit the editing type to 'update features' or 'update attributes only' as somewhat of a safety net).
  2. Open the map and choose the layer that is editable and either:
    • Configure the pop-up and choose 'configure attributes' and uncheck 'Edit' in all of the fields that you want to display in a pop-up
    • And/or completely turn off pop-ups for the editable layer so no pop-up comes up to allow edits within it

I just messed around with those settings and got it to work for me. But note I am new to Collector and there may be a better way. There may also be a better way to display an offline map altogether instead of using collector. Hope this works for you or someone with more experience can offer a better way.

BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

If you just want to work with maps without editing those layers I would recommend using Explorer. Explorer is a read only application available on iOS, Android and Windows and lets you use any map independent of the edibility of the layers in that map.

What platform are you using currently?

-Brent

HuwConnick
New Contributor II

Thanks for both your replies. I might give that a go William, if another solution is not found, thanks.

Hi Brent - I am using ArcGIS Pro and creating maps, which at the moment are being viewed in the field using Collector. I will look into using Explorer for this, thanks for the suggestion. 

0 Kudos