Data Lost When Saved as Draft

07-05-2018 05:40 PM
JonMarks
New Contributor III

Hi all, I've found since I've updated the Survey123 App on my phone (iPhone 8 using 11.3.1), that some surveys saved as a draft often lose some data when I re-edit the survey (but not all), this occurs quite regularly with my version of the Survey123 app (2.8.2). It didn’t seem to be an issue with the previous version that I was using (not sure of the version). A colleague using an iPhone 7 and IOS 11.4 is having the same issue. It's slightly random which values get lost, and sometimes on re-editing again, some values re-appear.

0 Kudos
41 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jon,

Have you tried the latest version of the app 3.0 which was released last week. Please let us know if you still experience this problem.

Phil.

0 Kudos
JonMarks
New Contributor III

Hi Philip, we have had 90% success with drafts being saved. We had 3 attempts, two of our forms saved ok, but the third lost data from a few fields. We tried again with this same form, lost data twice, put the values back in, saved to drafts and then they were there the third time. So still not right. Is it worth sending the XLs through? I’ll do it anyway given we have time zone delays!

Jon Marks | Senior Analyst, Environmental Science

GREATER WELLINGTON REGIONAL COUNCIL

Te Pane Matua Taiao

2 Fryatt Quay, Pipitea | Wellington 6011

T: 04 830 4140 | M: 027 609 8912

www.gw.govt.nz

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jon,

Does the missing data from drafts only happen when you have saved photos in the survey to drafts folder as well?

Phil.

0 Kudos
JonMarks
New Contributor III

No. There are no photos in the surveys

Jon

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jon,

Just wanted to confirm if you tested this with 3.0 version of the app? Do you still experience the issue?

It is likely related to the questions that have calculations and relevant statements, and the process that happens to refresh then when opening from Drafts. We have seen this with surveys with repeats, however I notice you do not have repeats in your survey?

Phil.

0 Kudos
JonMarks
New Contributor III

Hi Phil, yes we’re using V3 (3.0.132) and no there are no repeats on this survey, but there are plenty of relevants and calculations!

Thanks for looking into this

Regards

Te Pane Matua Taiao

www.gw.govt.nz

0 Kudos
JonMarks
New Contributor III

Hi Philip, we are still experienced data loss with surveys saved either as a draft or in the outbox. We have a number of surveys, none are particularly complicated, and even the most basic of surveys with no repeats or photos for example still have missing fields when reopened. In some cases the data is still "there", but just not visible, so when sent, actually still contain the original data, but if the survey form has a compulsory field, then  the survey will not send.

This is very frustrating and has now been an issue for close to a year. We are mostly using iPhones with the latest version of the app, but even then I experience the same issues using Survey123 for desktop.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jon,

Have you tested the latest beta build (3.3.40) of the app available on EAC and Testflight? This contains fixes for the issues of missing data in repeats when loading from Drafts/Sent or Inbox. A new version of Survey123 ill be publicly available tomorrow, version 3.2, which includes all these fixes. If you are still having issues with missing data in repeats, please send a copy of your xlsx form and explain the process and steps for missing data and which field names it occurs on, so we can take a closer look.

FYI - there is one known outstanding issue with nested repeats and relevant/calculations referencing parent repeat records, which we are aiming to resolve for 3.3, but apart form that the issues should be fixed.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
JonMarks
New Contributor III

Hi Phil, thanks for looking into this again. I have installed the latest version of the app (both iPhone and desktop) but still we are having issues with missing data. Our issue doesn’t seem to be related to nested repeats, as most of our forms do not have any. I have attached an example xlsx form (and csv file for the media folder) for you to look at, you may raise your eyebrows at the date/time fields we have set up. It’s the only way we’ve found so far to both display and store the time in NZ Standard time!

In the attached form I entered data in all fields, and after sending the form, went back into sent items and found most of the fields empty.

Hopefully you’ll be able to see what’s going on1

Regards

Te Pane Matua Taiao

www.gw.govt.nz

0 Kudos