Creating New Project From Template - Data Source Changes, Why?

05-18-2018 10:19 AM
JasonRogers1
New Contributor III

I created an ArcGIS Pro project loaded with several vector datasets, all stored in a single geodatabase, and saved on a shared drive. I created a folder connection using the full UNC path to the geodatabase, and created a connection to the actual geodatabase. In Catalog, I selected "Add to Favorites" and "Add to New Projects." All of the vector layers use the full UNC path as the data source.

I then saved this project as a template.

When I create a new project from this template, all of my layers are broken, and the Data Source is changed to the newly created database for this new project.

How can I enable the template to use the original Data Source for the layers?

new template‌ custom templates‌ template issues‌

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Project Templates.... lots of warnings and suggestions when you need to share with many people

For example, if all computers you work on have the same folder structure for organizing GIS data or reference the same shared network folders, databases, or servers, then it is appropriate to include these connections in the project template.

So if you just share the folder connection does that work?

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

How are you adding the shared network folder? Drive letter or UNC Path? I've found that drive letter doesn't work, and I always need to add network folders using the UNC path. 

0 Kudos
JasonRogers1
New Contributor III

The folder connection, and all of the vector layers use the full UNC path as the data source.

0 Kudos