Install ArcGIS Image Server

03-27-2018 04:13 PM
MikeJun
New Contributor II

I just noticed that I need to install ArcGIS Image Server on separate machine from ArcGIS Server instance for 10.6 version. We store raw Ortho photo imagery(1.75TB), Lidar data(554GB), Cached basemap(21GB) images on the other machine(enterprise Geodatabase machine(SDE)) and plan to create a VM to install image server. I'd like to know the minimum server specs for image server.

Do you think that dual core CPU/8GB RAM/200GB Hard drive is good enough? Thanks,

13 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mike,

A separate server is not required for ArcGIS Image Server.  It's recommended if you are performing raster analytics on large datasets.  If you are publishing mosaic datasets for viewing purposes, you can use a single instance of ArcGIS Server.

MikeJun
New Contributor II

I don't plan to perform raster analytics and just publish mosaic datasets. Thanks,

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

And the interesting thing to me is that the Image Server install is an ArcGIS Server install, with an added role (I think that is the terminology).  But the licencing of the 10.6 for Image Server is no longer an extension, so you are allowed to have it on two machines.  When it was an extension, it had to be on the one machine.  

So as Jake mentioned, not mandatory to have it separate, just recommended.

edit: btw, my guess is the recommended system requirements are the same as for ArcGIS Server  ArcGIS Server 10.6 system requirements—ArcGIS Enterprise system requirements | ArcGIS Enterprise 

XanderBakker

In addition to what has been mentioned above, please see the section on ArcGIS Image Server in this help topic Deployment patterns for ArcGIS Enterprise—ArcGIS Enterprise | ArcGIS Enterprise . for more information about the appropriate deployment pattern.

In case of any doubt, it wold be best to do a capacity planning to determine the configuration of the machine(s). Also see Capacity Planning Tool - GIS Wiki | The GIS Encyclopedia . Professional Services can help you with this. 

Also have a look at: Data store scenarios for image services—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise and Key concepts for image services—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

0 Kudos
MikeJun
New Contributor II

Jake,

I plan to create two new servers. One for enterprise geodatabase on SQL, the other for enterprise ArcGIS Server. Since we don't perform any raster analytics, we can install Image server on either these machines, right? Is there any license role that prohibit from installing image server on ArcGIS server?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Yes, after you install ArcGIS Server and license it using Standard/Advanced you can re-run the Authorization wizard and select the ArcGIS Image Server license.  You will then be able to publish mosaic datasets as Image Services to your ArcGIS Server instance.

MikeJun
New Contributor II

Which server machine is better to install the image server? One with enterprise geodatabase or the other with ArcGIS Server?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

You will need to run the Image Server authorization on the machine running ArcGIS Server.

0 Kudos
GIS_AdminCity_of_Charlottetown
New Contributor II

Mike;

I was told that it was unadvised to have Server and Image Server on the same machine; we currently have a single machine with 2 virtual machines running the SQL Server and the Portal and ArcGIS Server. I wanted to add mosaic datasets to our inventory; can you point me to some info to help me better decide if we do or do not need a separate server? I have been looking but not yet found a source that is telling me the system requirements for what we want to do.

0 Kudos