Determine "enable sync" setting

02-14-2018 10:57 AM
MichaelZatorsky
New Contributor III

Hello,

Is it possible using the ArcGIS API for python to determine the Enable sync status of a hosted feature layer on ArcGIS online?

i.e. this setting:

sync setting

I don't need to change it at this stage, just determine if it is checked or not.

In context, I intend to loop though all the layers of a web map looking for any layer that does not have sync enabled,  using something like this:

from arcgis.gis import GIS
from arcgis.mapping import WebMap

gis = GIS(url, username, password)

map_id = # the_unique_item_identifier would be here #
search_result=gis.content.search(map_id,max_items=1000)
item = search_result[0]
print("map title       = ", item.title)

theWebMap = WebMap(webmapitem=item)
layerCount = len(theWebMap.layers)
print("layer count = " + str(layerCount))

for layer in theWebMap.layers:
    print("type            = ", layer.layerType)
    print("title           = ", layer.title)
    print("id              = ", layer.id)

# mystery bit - property?  custom function?
    print("syncStatus      = ", layer.?????)‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Thanks 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You should be able to access the "capabilities" property of the layer (which has sync, editing, create....) by doing the following. The capabilities property is a comma separated string of values. 

layer.properties["capabilities"]

You can update the layer properties by doing:

layer.manager.update_definition({

"capabilities": "Editing, Sync, Update, Create, Delete" // Whatever other properties you need or that were previously there

})

MichaelZatorsky
New Contributor III

Thanks for the suggestion Aaron.   I followed up by reading  Service definitions | ArcGIS for Developers which has a worked example of displaying and enabling sync for a  Feature Layer Collection.   However, I'm working with a Feature Layer (Hosted).

Following the example in the docs I can't get it to work for a Feature Layer (hosted).

Do you know if this definitely works with ArcGIS Online, or is it just Portal?

I recently found out that tracing item dependencies using the functions item.dependent_upon() and item.dependent_to() only work for Portal, and not GIS Online - and there is nothing in the documentation about that -  so I'm not sure if its my bad programming, or its just not possible with Online?

If  properties.capabilities  should work for a hosted Feature Layer, can you point me to a worked example?

Thanks.

0 Kudos