ArcPro Job Will Not Cancel

01-30-2018 12:33 PM
AnnaRoyar1
New Contributor III

Hello Fellow GIS-ers!

I am having a whale of a time trying to adapt our workflows to ArcPro and have run into a major issue:

While experimenting with ways to share a map within our organization I started ArcPro creating a map template. It was taking a very long time, creating way too big a file on our shared drive and locking up all instances of Arc Pro so I tried to cancel the "job". The cancel button clicks but doesn't work. I tried force quitting but every time I open any project in ArcPro the job starts up again immediately. It seems that my only recourse is to restart my computer, which is not going to work for us. Does anyone know how to cancel a runaway job? or keep jobs from restarting automatically?

Thank you!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Kory Kramer‌ this is related to the comment I made about Create Project Template taking forever to complete. Pressing the cancel job button from the Job Queue is like pressing the close door button in an elevator......and I have had template jobs that I wanted to cancel when I realized I failed to include something. Only way to stop it is to hard-kill Pro (Dangit Colson STOP PULLING THE POWER CORD OUT!). However, after a CTL-ALT-DEL kill, the job does not attempt to restart upon reopen. 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I guess we'd have to have specifics.  I just ran Create Project Template with a project containing a couple of maps, a couple of layouts, some layers from a local file gdb, other layers from a folder connected to by UNC path, checked Share outside of organization, and Cancel worked immediately.   It did take a split second longer once I let it get to the compressing stage, but I didn't experience a hang where Cancel just didn't work.

Working in ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

This video is long, you might want to grab a beer.....

As it turns out, cancel works, "eventually", when I'm sharing to PTL but not outside org. I do have a LOT of folders, servers, databases, and a big giant python toolbox in there.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

How long did it take for you to create the above template?

I created a template first with just a few SDE connections and network locations.  The template was created in a few seconds.  I then updated the template with a map with 1 layer + ESRI default basemaps and 1 layout which still took a few seconds to create.  I then added a shapefile (Just as a test as I don't think think this is realistic) and the template still took just a few seconds to create.  I then added a file geodatabase stored on the c-drive to the template and it took almost 13 minutes to create the template.  Why would adding a file gdb to template add so much time to the template creation time?

In addition, now when I am creating a new aprx from the latest template is has been in the aprx creation stage with a spinning progress bar cursor for 12 minutes, so it looks like my last save of the template sort of corrupted the template.  When the new project from the template has finally opened up the file gdb that I added to the template is not in the new project.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately we get TWO (2, ha ha ha said Count Dracula) File Geodatabases with every template: the one that was in the project when you made the template, and the one that gets created when you open a project from the template, so I wish I was having your problem of the FGDB not being included. 

0 Kudos
PaulCone2
Occasional Contributor III

Ending the Pro Process via the Resource Monitor didn't stop my runaway packaging of a mobile map package.  I had to restart my 64 core tile caching VM to make it stop.  Argh.  At least it wasn't busy at the moment.

(Running Pro 2.3 Beta 2).

Paul

MarcGuidry1
New Contributor

It might be putting out a new Process for the packaging.  To kill a runaway web layer publishing job I had to end the ArcGISSharingServer.exe process.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Take a look at this idea as it shows certain data types (raster data referenced in a Raster Mosaic Dataset (RMD), file geodatabases and shapefiles) that copy data instead of referencing it for templates so they take a long time to be created and it seems like Pro has crashed.  The RMD uses a file geodatabase, so file gdbs definitely appear to cause severe issues with Pro templates.

https://community.esri.com/ideas/13649 

I hope this issue is being looked at for Pro 2.5.

0 Kudos
SerjStolyarov1
New Contributor III

Found a way to stop the job from Task Manager, a lingering SharingServer DLL is what you need to kill! It was separated from my ArcGIS Pro process so was harder to find.

I had this problem where I could not kill a Job after restarting ArcGIS Pro and every new project it would still be executing a sharing process. Restarting was not an option as I had a massive processing job ongoing on another project.