ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor
Assign a domain picklist to a SDE 10.5.1 feature class attribute, e.g 
  1. TLU_RESTRICTION
    1. Code (Value)
    2. UNR (Unrestricted)
    3. REX (Restricted: No Release)
    4. SQ (Sasquatch)
  • Edit the feature class and the attribute using the Pro Editor UI and set values to either one of the legal values as limited by the domain pick list;
  • Modify the properties of the feature class to restrict display based on a definition query of the same attribute: any of the domain pick list values are available to be used in the definition query;
  • BUG: All values of the domain are listed in the definition query UI, regardless if the domain value is used (e.g SQ is presented as a query choice but no feature class record has a value "SQ")
  • Use field calculator to modify a subset of the records in the feature class (same attribute which has the domain pick list applied), and specify a value that is not included in the domain, e.g "Restrict";
  • BUG: Modify the properties of the feature class to restrict display based on a definition query of the same attribute: any of the domain pick list values are available to be used in the definition query, however the non-domain value is not available to be used in the definition query;
There are very many use cases where a user needs to override default domain values and use field calculator to apply non-domain strings. Alternatively, there are cases where a user needs to use a definition query to display records that have attributes that are not legal domain values. In Arcmap 10.5.1 this bug does not exist, and the user can use domain and non domain values in definition queries on feature class attributes where a domain has been specified. Additionally, ArcMap 10.5.1 only presents values (domain and non-domain) that exist in the feature class records, not un-unused domain values. 
Same feature class, ArcMap: note the two string values (with the ' '). In this case, the domain was either added to the feature class attribute long after the feature class was created or populated, or...the user had a requirement to use a non-legal domain value. 
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarcoLucafo_
New Contributor III

I am not sure whether it's a bug or not, as I am pretty confident that you can query against non-domain values bypassing clause mode and using SQL.

Let's wait for some ESRI dev to tell us if it is on purpose or not, it seems to me that it might be a design decision to list all and only valid domain values in the clause editor, while I agree that it might be confusing especially coming from ArcMap.

0 Kudos