ArcMap - Need to add an image as a layer

Jump to solution
12-17-2017 12:54 AM
ShayT
by
New Contributor II

I need to add an image as a layer.  I need to add an aerial .jpg image (print screened from google earth so I will also need to make it line up with my other layers) of a county as a layer.

I am new at ArcGis but I think I need to create a raster layer and then export it as KML so my Javascript code will be able to fetch it and display it.

I have Arcmap 10.1.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a gsc wgs84 is the default.  I suspect that the details of where the resultant data is needs to be explored in detail if your code can't find it

asters, or ground overlays, will be converted into a raster catalog inside the file geodatabase. The source raster in its native format is available in a folder of GroundOverlays at the same level as the output file geodatabase. Ground overlays are not converted by default. Use the Include Ground Overlay option to create rasters.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You will also need to georeferenced the raster image since it has not coordinate reference.  Do you intend to do this georeferenced manually or by using the methodologies outlined in ArcMap?

ShayT
by
New Contributor II

I will do this manually.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you will do that manually, then you will have a raster layer in ArcMap.  

From there you need to use Layer to kml to do the final kml translation... your only need if for a version of ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro that supports this... I suspect ArcMap 10.1 didn't support this, so you need to upgrade ArcMap... it has been offered in versions as early as 10.3... you will have to check your help files

ShayT
by
New Contributor II

I managed to create a layer and export it to KMZ (layer to kml is supported in 10.1) but the JS code can't open the KMZ.

the map is focusing to the correct location but no picture is shown.

I tried openning the KMZ in google earth pro and the same thing happend.

It seems like the picture is not included or referenced in the the KMZ.

Any ideas why?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

web Mercator projection? or a GCS wgs84 (aka, unprojected).  What did you georeferenced it to?

0 Kudos
ShayT
by
New Contributor II

I tried both with no success.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a gsc wgs84 is the default.  I suspect that the details of where the resultant data is needs to be explored in detail if your code can't find it

asters, or ground overlays, will be converted into a raster catalog inside the file geodatabase. The source raster in its native format is available in a folder of GroundOverlays at the same level as the output file geodatabase. Ground overlays are not converted by default. Use the Include Ground Overlay option to create rasters.

0 Kudos
ShayT
by
New Contributor II

thanks alot. It works now.

0 Kudos