Select to view content in your preferred language

Why are some colours being distorted when exporting from ArcGIS Pro to PDF?

Jump to solution
11-29-2017 07:20 PM
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Honored Contributor

I'm exporting a large map layout from ArcGIS Pro to PDF and most of it is fine, but some features are having their colours changed (inverted?). In particular, a logo image, image containing text and the scale bar and scale text are changing. 

I've tried changing the Image compression to "None" and improving the Image Quality from "Fastest" to "Normal" with no luck. Can anyone else point me in the right direction?

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I suspect its because Pro, unlike ArcMap, no longer allows you to "Vectorize layers with bitmap markers/fills" for Picture Symbols, or Convert Marker Symbols to Polygons. I'm finding that Pro simply cannot produce quality cartographic output, due to hokey implementation of tools that worked well in Arc, or issues like this.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

export to pdf....

There are a number of options depending on whether a vector of image format is specified.

If an image format is chosen then there are options for the color map.

What was chosen in light of the optional output format you wanted?

0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Honored Contributor

Hi Dan. I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. I believe you want me to confirm if I set it to Vector or Image format but I don't know where I am supposed to change that setting? Is this in the Export window I showed in the screenshot above or somewhere else?

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is in the link in my thread

1. Make sure a map or layout is your active view.
  2. On the Sharetab, in the Export group, click Map Export or Layout Export, depending on the active view.

and you choose a format... it splits depending on whether you are specifying a raster or vector.. Check the link in those two sections.

0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Honored Contributor

I am definitely exporting the Map Layout as a PDF file (vector). I am attempting to Export the Map Layout as an image (PNG) @ 300dpi now to see if it has the same effect or not. 

EDIT: Exporting to a PNG (image) produces the desired result (images in their original format - no distortion). 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

As suspected, glad it worked out.

0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Honored Contributor

It would still be good to know why it doesn't work as expected when exporting to the vector formats. PDF is our preferred method of map production because of it's easy use for viewing and printing to set page sizes (not to mention more versatile than images). 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I think where the raster/vector thing falls apart is the mix of raster and vector input into the vector output.  You indicated that it was the things that are probably raster bits (logo I presume) that went off.  Unfortunately, the documentation regarding what to do about the color situation is missing from the vector output section.  There is probably some 'idea' on the https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas?sr=search&searchId=19954b41-0153-440d-9308-c970863...‌ site if you are so inclined to check there.

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Honored Contributor

I'll go do some digging and see what I can find. Thanks for your feedback so far. I might just add in here that this isn't an issue in ArcMap (which we still use day to day - I'm just trying to familiarise myself on side projects). 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I suspect its because Pro, unlike ArcMap, no longer allows you to "Vectorize layers with bitmap markers/fills" for Picture Symbols, or Convert Marker Symbols to Polygons. I'm finding that Pro simply cannot produce quality cartographic output, due to hokey implementation of tools that worked well in Arc, or issues like this.