Arc Pro Activation

01-02-2018 10:21 PM
SaschaLeChat
New Contributor

Hello. I purchased the book GTK ArcGIS pro and am attempting to activate the software. I activated ArcGIS desktop alright, but get errors when I run Pro. I see one needs a license attached to the account, but I don't belong to an organization and there's no page for the 180 day trial, only the 21 day trial. I read that trials are not activated in my esri, but no trial page fits the 180 day trial scenario. I've read the other posters re: arcgis pro, but those are paid accounts and they don't work through organization. Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you download the 180 day trial in a link like this?

http://esripress.esri.com/bookResources/index.cfm?event=catalog.book&id=20

and in the download link did you fill out the stuff on that page?

http://appsforms.esri.com/products/arcgis/eval/press/index.cfm?event=evaluate.signup&bookid=21

then you are on your own, since I already have the software

0 Kudos
SaschaLeChat
New Contributor

Yes, and they sent me download links, I installed the software and got Arcmap desktop to work fine. The error I receive when I attempt to authorize the Pro software states that as a trial user I need to contact an organization administrator to assign a license to my username, however I'm just a single user who bought the book to learn the software. I get into my ArcGIS online account, but there's no utility for me to assign the license to my username there.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sascha... see the ArcGIS Trial section in this link 

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/licensing-arcgis-pro.htm

hope it help, since I never had to do this... maybe a link in the book would have helped

0 Kudos
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Sasha,

not sure of how it works with trial but...

in the AGOL account you got with the trial version,

do you have this section?

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Sascha,

The 180-day trial that comes with the book (Dan referenced the download page) should include a 180-day trial of ArcGIS Online. You need to activate that trial account to create an ArcGIS Online organization. This is different from the free ArcGIS Online account you probably have already--they can coexist. When you signed up for the trial, you should have received an email from Esri with the subject line Esri - Activate Your Free ArcGIS Trial. There's a link in that email to get you started. If you don't see that email in your inbox, check your spam folder.

The first thing you'll need to do is set up the ArcGIS Online organization. See the ArcGIS Online help topic Activate subscription. You won't need to invite any members to the organization, because you'll automatically be added as the administrator. Once your organization is set up, follow the instructions in the ArcGIS Online help topic Manage licenses to assign yourself a license. As Pan gis said, when you click the Organization tab in ArcGIS Online, you will see the Manage Licenses link.

It's all a bit confusing because, as you said, you're just a single person. But the software is designed in such a way that you have to have an ArcGIS Online organization to get an ArcGIS Pro license. So you end up becoming the administrator of an "organization" that has just one member--you.

You can't get going with ArcGIS Pro unless you have that email from Esri with the trial subscription link. If you don't find the email, you can message me and let me know. I'll forward this thread to the Esri Press team so they're aware and can step in to help if needed.

Tim

0 Kudos
SaschaLeChat
New Contributor

Hello, thank you all for your kind responses. I restarted the whole process (I think I was bumped out before I set up the organization) and was able to use a new user name and set up the organization as you said. I started Pro, logged in and it works!

SC

0 Kudos