ArcGIS Online User Name Login Limit

Jump to solution
09-01-2017 08:14 AM
ModernElectric
Occasional Contributor III

I have some basic questions about ArcGIS Online. We are just starting to use it as an organization and doing some research and experimentation. 

At this point, we have (1) Level 2 User Name login and (1) Level 1 User Name login.

Is there a limit on how many individuals can use the same login/password at the same time? Example: Mike is using the login on a desktop while John & Phil are using the same log in on (2) separate android phones all at the same time. Is there a limit on how many times the login can be used all at the same time?

We are also experimenting with Collector for ArcGIS. If Phil is on one phone and John is on a tablet, and they both are using a project to record sites for tree trimming, can they both be using the same project/map and record data and/or edit existing features without causing problems? 

I understand these are elementary questions, but we are just starting with ArcGIS Online and these have been questions that have come up.

Thank you for the clarification.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

All,

> Is there a limit on how many individuals can use the same login/password at the same time? 

This is not permitted and is a violation of the software terms of use. A named user account cannot be shared and is meant for a single, explicit user.

> ... and they both are using a project to record sites for tree trimming, can they both be using the same project/map and record data and/or edit existing features without causing problems? 

Yes, this workflow is supported. But both users need to login and access the project with 2 separate named user accounts.

> ... in general, "named users" are not to be shared at all. Each user is supposed to have their own login.  

This statement is correct. A named user account is assigned to a specific, real person - like an individual unique email address. You are not allowed to shared the same login account and "headless" accounts are not permitted. This is defined in the Esri Master License Agreement and terms of use.

> ... maybe there are different rules for Collector for ArcGIS 

No, the same rules apply for Collector for ArcGIS and the other ArcGIS mobile apps.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

12 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Is there a limit on how many individuals can use the same login/password at the same time?

You will want to talk to you Customer Service Rep or local distributor.  But, in general, "named users" are not to be shared at all.  Each user is supposed to have their own login.  

Best we have come up with it switching users (i.e. removing and adding new ones) during different times of the year, and using the https://community.esri.com/groups/arcgis-python-api?sr=search&searchId=56d39976-806c-448d-9d37-ed47c...‌ to move items from the user to be removed to a "hold_account" first, so the data is not lost, and if anything app is relying on their data, it isn't deleted.  If that user is put back in service, we can transfer the items back if needed.  I use this method for uses that leave the agency too.  Not ideal, but best legal way I've figured out so far. 

But that is just from a user point of view, and maybe there are different rules for https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/collector-for-arcgis?sr=search&searchId=04c9f9...‌  (and if so, I would like to know that too....we are starting to use Collector more).

cc: dlaw-esristaff

DerekLaw

All,

> Is there a limit on how many individuals can use the same login/password at the same time? 

This is not permitted and is a violation of the software terms of use. A named user account cannot be shared and is meant for a single, explicit user.

> ... and they both are using a project to record sites for tree trimming, can they both be using the same project/map and record data and/or edit existing features without causing problems? 

Yes, this workflow is supported. But both users need to login and access the project with 2 separate named user accounts.

> ... in general, "named users" are not to be shared at all. Each user is supposed to have their own login.  

This statement is correct. A named user account is assigned to a specific, real person - like an individual unique email address. You are not allowed to shared the same login account and "headless" accounts are not permitted. This is defined in the Esri Master License Agreement and terms of use.

> ... maybe there are different rules for Collector for ArcGIS 

No, the same rules apply for Collector for ArcGIS and the other ArcGIS mobile apps.

Hope this helps,

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

A named user account is assigned to a specific, real person - like an individual unique email address.

Hi dlaw-esristaff , just to let you know, anyone that would move items in/out of our hold "headless" account ALSO have their own named user account.  We also have some headless accounts that are the "Department of.." or "Division of..", but again, those publishing all have their own named user accounts. 

The first use-case above is so when users leave employment we can move their data to a safe place and delete their account until the Division hires a new person or assigned the data to someone else. 

The second use-case is so we have services published as the organization rather than an individual.  Users will work under their own named user account, but when read to push to public and/or OpenData, they will pass ownership to these headless accounts. 

I don't see any other way to handle these two situations. I apologize for deviating from the original question, but I think there is a case where you need a headless account. 

However, as I mentioned and you confirmed, each field users needs their own named user account. We just went thru this in our office this summer having to disable/delete old and inactive users to allow field work to happen.  This is not a good work flow, or at least will not be as more users want to use Collector. Although we are looking at possibly eventually expanding our named-user slots, I don't think that will happen for a while.  fwiw.

ModernElectric
Occasional Contributor III

I appreciate the feedback. Like i previously said, we are in the very beginning research and development stages of implementing ArcGIS Online for our company. We are trying different things with ESRI's android app and ArcGIS Collector in addition to regular web viewing. I will take this feedback to assist us with the current development project. 

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hope you come up with a workable solution.  You can always post back so others can learn from your experience.  But for now, you should probably mark helpful comments and one as the answer (most likely one of Derek's, since he is the authoritative voice in this thread) or as assumed answered.  You can always change it is you get more information an/dor add a summary.  thanks.. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Greetings Derek Law‌ and everyone, thank you for the info.  So, I have a related question.   I will be visiting a local school and teaching some GIS hands-on with about 20 students in a computer lab. I was thinking I would have them sign in and create some web maps, draw some features with Map Notes, and make some little apps. All with one log in. I would then be changing the password right after the lab. For simplicity I thought I would have them all just use the one login for this class, it's just one two hour class visit, one time. Or at least, I had been. I came here to check on this first. 

Is that... ok? And if so, would it work? Would they all be able to create features and apps and not have things corrupt because of multiple sign ins? It's a one time only thing. It seems like .. technically, it's a 'no'?  If so, what would you recommend?  

Perhaps I could call Esri Support in the Education line and they could create 'x' number of temporary logins? Is that a possibility? The other thing is I want to use the Analysis features to demo things like Drive Time polygons. I will not be creating Personal accounts because they do not have the Analysis tools and I want to demo geoprocessing. In K12 it goes without saying that demoing this in a web map will capture attention and introduce them better than ArcMap / Pro. Although yes, we will also be doing a follow up session using ArcMap.  So ,is there an Education 'Trial 'Org account from Esri and they could mint 20 or so new temp logins?  Then I could make them Student1Acct Student2Acct Student3Acct etc etc for the login name with the same password and that wouldn't be too bad, in terms of simplifying log in.  Of course it is fine if they expire. However, I will be re-visiting in a couple weeks so it would be nice to keep them live for a few weeks. It's only for this specific educational task. I would think this would be a typical workflow for 'teaching' GIS, like in workshops and/or even simply Esri marketing, education and outreach, in education and corporate environments and hand-son training sessions and conferences and so forth?  

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Kevin,

> ... I will be visiting a local school and teaching some GIS hands-on with about 20 students in a computer lab. I was thinking I would have them sign in and create some web maps, draw some features with Map Notes, and make some little apps. All with one log in. ...  Is that... ok? And if so, would it work?

Thanks for asking about this. Be advised, this is a violation of the Esri software terms of use agreement. An ArcGIS Online login is meant to be assigned to a specific, single persion. It is not meant to be used as a headless generic login. Also, you can only login simultaneously 3 times with the same account, so your proposed workflow won't work.

> I would think this would be a typical workflow for 'teaching' GIS, like in workshops and/or even simply Esri marketing, education and outreach, in education and corporate environments and hand-son training sessions and conferences and so forth?  

Please send me an email dlaw@esri.com and I will connect you with the appropriate folks on the Education team. I will defer to them to assist with your request.

Hope this helps,

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you Derek, I'm glad I came here to see. When I did a "test".. it was only 3 logins! I guess that explains it. Indeed it'll be 25 students. Good to know. I'm waiting to hear from our University Esri representative, I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Kevin,

> I'm waiting to hear from our University Esri representative, I'll let you know how it goes. 

Ok, sounds good. Please LMK if you need help with getting access and I will connect you with Education team folks on my end. Good luck.