AnsweredAssumed Answered

Desktop Client Issues in 10.5 When Using Oracle SDE Database

Question asked by mvolz47 on Apr 19, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 21, 2017 by shantanu9031

I have been performing some testing of ArcGIS for Desktop 10.5 for my organization's upgrade later this year from 10.3.1.  I had some broken links with older Oracle 10g Client connections that I wanted to update to Oracle 11g Client connections.  I did not have an issue when resourcing SDE connections for a user with only select privileges (Read-only), but I was unable to perform this resourcing for users with edit privileges (Write).  In addition, broken connections to feature classes that were not in an SDE feature dataset display the password of the SDE user which is a big database security issue (This does not occur on feature classes within a feature dataset).

After discovering that I could not fix an existing connection for an SDE user with edit privileges on a feature class, I then went to a new mxd and tried to add the same feature class from the same SDE connection and I received an error saying "Insufficient permissions".

On the surface this seems like a big issue as it impacts editors of SDE who would be the organization's power GIS users and they would be unable to modify the feature classes that they are responsible for.

Has anyone encountered any issues such as these when using an Oracle based SDE database?

Outcomes