High memory usage

01-30-2017 11:38 AM
JoshSaad1
Occasional Contributor II

Just throwing this out there for the developers.  I just finished Getting to Know ArcGIS Pro.  Chapter 8 deals with rendering temporal data in 3D.  While browsing the map to review the 3D layers, ArcGIS Pro was using 12 GB of system memory.   I thought that seemed a bit high.  I'm using a Dell OptiPlex 7010, which isn't the mightiest of computers, and maybe this wouldn't be an issue if I had a better graphics card.  Either way it may be something to look into.  Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you do not have a dedicated video card with a GPU it will have to simulate one and it eats ram like crazy.  I was getting frustrated with Pro being so slow on my box, sometimes unusable.  Then I tested Pro out on a coworkers personal gaming machine.  Machine has 64 GB of ram and a really nice video card with 6 GB of its own ram.  Pro was so fast it was almost hard to use since you would zoom right past stuff.  It really flies with a good card and it really changed my view of Pro.

We had the same issue on a Cloud machine.  With no GPU it brings the whole cloud farm to its knees.

JoshSaad1
Occasional Contributor II

Good to know.  I'll have to keep that in mind when it comes time to upgrade.  Thanks.

0 Kudos