Scatter plot of two rasters

Jump to solution
10-11-2016 12:19 AM
ShouvikJha
Occasional Contributor III

Xander Bakker‌ and Dan Patterson‌ , Kindly your cooperation is highly appreciate. 

I have two raster file, i want to perform Scatter plot of those raster . I found one code that is written by Dan Patterson‌ 

Below code

from matplotlib import pyplot as plt
xs = [1,3,2,5,6,4] # Which fomart of data i have to give here?
ys = [3,2,1,5,3,2]
plt.scatter(xs, ys)
main_title ="My first graph"
plt.title(main_title, loc='center')  #loc is either left, right or center
plt.minorticks_on()
plt.tick_params(which='major', direction='in', length=6, width=2)
plt.tick_params(which='minor', direction='in', length=4, width=2)
plt.show()‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Earlier Dan suggest to someone convert those raster to arrays. I followed the same  but could not solve it. How to process tiff to array.

how do i execute two raster in X and Y axis. I have tiff images.

Branched from Perform Raster Calculation from Multiple Sub-folder Using ArcPy 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Follow Neil's and Xander's advice.  A plot like that is going to show nothing more than a scaled down version.  Calculate the statistical parameters of both variables and summarize in tabular form.  This is a classic example of a graph adding nothing to the analysis or presentation.  In fact, the association between the variables is better shown in mapped form since the spatial dimension is explicit.  

Is this a requirement for some project?  If so, gently suggest to the proponent that better means of examining the relationship are available.

View solution in original post

24 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you have to plot them separately as rasters not as a scatter plot, you can convert a raster to rows and columns and plot those as a scatterplot, so I am not sure what you want to do specifically.  What does your data look like now?

NeilAyres
MVP Alum

I would normally not do this on the entire raster or rasters but create a random subset of them using Create Random points and then use Sample.

Then just use the graphing tools inside ArcMap.

ShouvikJha

Dan Patterson‌ 

Thank you. I want to do  on  cell by cell basis. I have two different parameters of raster data, so one parameter i want to plot  in X axis and another one Y axis to make it relation between two parameters. 

How do i convert it in row and column  format. can i convert it in  ASCII format? 

Data is tiff format same as which we got from our above scrip suggested by xander_bakker

0 Kudos
ShouvikJha

Reply from Dan Patterson

before you go off into a side tangent of graphing and trying to 'correlate', 'predict' or extrapolate see...

Geographically Weighted Regression (GWR)—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Only if you are working with interval/ratio and there is some real predictive behaviour between the two variables.  Looking for correlations, relationships between two variables via a magical statistical test is overused.  But if you are looking for an association then the above and other substitutes will save a flurry of activity in the wrong direction

For nominal data...  Combine—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop   gives you the basis for tests of Association such as the chi-squared test.  And at worst it gives you a tabular output for discussion

Make your intent clear and specific... otherwise people with keep throwing suggestions out that will meet vague goals ... not necessary specific ones.

0 Kudos
ShouvikJha

Thank you. I am not getting your points. i am trying plot two variable of raster like this ... 

0 Kudos
ShouvikJha

Reply from Dan Patterson

If the rasters aren't huge convert to points, then Ordinary Least Squares (OLS)—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop I think the report allows for a graph

0 Kudos
ShouvikJha

Xander Bakker‌, Dan Patterson‌ , I moved total conversion from there to here. Please cooperate with us. Sorry for the inconvenience cause.  

0 Kudos
ShouvikJha

Dan Patterson‌, As your last comment we have huge data point. number of columns and rows 2737, 2025 respectively. So whats is  the best way to plot those raster. 

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I think the suggestion by Neil Ayres is an option you should look at. Use  Create Random Points—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop , followed by Extract Multi Values to Points—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop to graph the two variables (rasters) together in a scatter plot. 

The alternative is using numpy to access the pixel values and create a resulting table with the combination of the values for each cell. In your case that would be over 5.5 M records, which might yield errors.