Bing basemap zooms too far

09-29-2016 07:59 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

I am using the Bing basemaps in our custom AppBuilder applications, and I have noticed that when you zoom in too far that the map disappears.  The problem that I am seeing is that it occurs in some applications, but not others, and I'm not sure how to prevent it from happening. 

The application that the map DOES NOT disappear in will simply only allow you to zoom in to the point where if you were to zoom in one more level it would disappear.  The applications that the map DOES disappear in, you can zoom in way further than the map will display, but the map just disappears and you can't see anything at all.

Is this a setting or a bug?  If there is a workaround, please let me know.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Still looking for an answer to this.  Just wanted to bump the question. 

The inability to zoom in further is not an issue, it's more the annoyance of the basemap disappearing that is our problem.  I just need to know how to not allow the application to zoom in any further than the basemap will still display.  I'm not sure how, but I have one application that actually stops you at the largest available basemap scale, but all other applications allow us to keep zooming, and consequently, losing the basemap view. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just bumping this to the top one more time to see if someone can provide an answer.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Nope. No answer.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I suppose no answer is better than crickets

Is my question unclear or is this just unusual behavior? 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I wouldn't even class it as unusual.  If it doesn't cause a crash and you have to use basemaps where you can't control fully the layer behaviour, I wouldn't worry about it.  If it works in some situations but not others, don't do use the latter.  It sounds picky and if a user is zooming in too far and the basemap isn't cooperating, they will probably discover that they shouldn't zoom in too far or zoom too many times.

Your post was seen... that is the upside.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The problem is that the users require the maximum zoom level in order to view the poles on the ground as best they can.  Often times users are using the bing hybrid aerial imagery in order to navigate from site to site using street names for reference (walking distance), which requires them to zoom out and back in many times throughout the day.  It's inevitable that they'll end up simply clicking one too many times and then have to back out in order to see the data and the basemap.  It doesn't sound like much, but the time does add up over time, and then there's the frustration of constantly having to correct the issue each and every time.

As for using the way that works and not the way that doesn't, I'm not sure where the difference is.  I have two applications that reference the exact same layers, only a different set of queries applied to the layers, but one works as it should, while the other doesn't.  It's really strange. 

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Coy,

I am curious to know if you will find an answer. It seems that this is a Bing thing and it disappears after a certain level. Could you possibly restrict your map zoom to not go to that certain level? Or could you possibly have another basemap that sits behind it (like an Esri Imagery one) that will appear when the Bing one disappears?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The edits that the users are doing require the maximum zoom level in order to view the poles as best they can.  This is the reason we're using the Bing basemaps because their street level resolution is far superior to the Esri default option.

Is there a way you can layer the basemaps like that when working with a custom app created through the Web AppBuilder?  I've never seen how to do that. 

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Coy,

I believe you can do that (but I do not have a solution at hand). Are you using the Developer edition of Web AppBuilder or the out-of-the-box edition? That may make a different. I am tagging the https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/web-appbuilder?sr=search&searchId=eea94cfc-e199-4b4...‌ space for more visibility.

Another idea is to just have two basemaps in your online map and when Bing fades out, then essentially the other one is visible. Would that work or does Bing put up some nonsense saying 'no image available' or something?

0 Kudos