Using Rotation in DDPs

09-15-2016 01:00 PM
AlexanderPugliese
New Contributor III

Hey guys,

I am creating a map book that will comprise of hundreds of pages based off several lines.  The problem is, some lines show better at non-north/south page orientations.  I read a bit into rotation and it appears you have to hand input this info.  If you wanted to use the tool it appeared you had to hand rotate the item and the tool would calculate the amount of rotation for you.  An example would be a line going from north/south with a horizontally configured map book.  I would want the line inputted horizontally with either east or west pointing up.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

~alex

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Questions to help clarify how you have things currently set up:

• What version of the software are you using with Data Driven Pages (DDP)?
  • Is the optional Map Rotation field being currently used?
  • Are you using Strip Map Index Features or Grid Index Features?

Creating strip map index features—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Grid Index Features—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Chris Donohue, GISP

AlexanderPugliese
New Contributor III

Hey Chris,

Thanks for helping!

• I am using either 10.2.2 or 10.3 (one version on my desktop and one version on a terminal server).
  • It is not being used.
  • I didn't use either.  I have the DDPs attached to the lines.  So there would be hundreds of pages for instance.  The lines span anywhere from 2-8 blocks.
0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

One option I would suggest is to create either a strip map index or a grid index (see links in previous post), then manually edit/rotate/adjust the created grid pieces to better match the desired orientation in the places where you would prefer it be different than the standard output.  This will entail some editing, plus after the spatial part is finalized you will likely have to renumber some of the grids so they are in the correct sequence (assuming you added or deleted someg grid "blocks").  Then use this index as the input for Data Drive Pages.  This has worked out very well for me on several projects.  Note that  if you have not done this before to be sure to set aside some time to work through a few attempts until you get a feel for it and the settings (i.e. don't expect the first cut to be perfect - it will likely take a few tries before it all comes together well).

Chris Donohue, GISP

AlexanderPugliese
New Contributor III

Hey Chris,

Fortunately I've used DDP's consistently over the last few years so I understand how grid index features works.  I tried using the strip map index and it appears they are still using a one spatial reference for all.  I want to get away from doing anything manually, as there are hundreds of lines I would have to sort through.  Is there any arcpy scripts you know of?  I've looked around EVERYWHERE and can't seem to find anything.

Essentially what I'm going for is a map book with hundreds of lines and the DDP's show these lines at all different spacial distances with the map fitting he best way possible.  For instance, the map book is positioned horizontally.  With a line drawn north/south, I would want the page to position vertically so you can see the line much more clearly.  These lines can span anywhere from a block to 8 blocks.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I haven't done any scripting with Data Driven Pages, but let me add someone who I suspect may have in case he can offer some insight:  dkwiens 

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Strip map index is a good starting point because it will calculate an angle field for you. Unfortunately, you don't have total control over what angle it chooses for you.

I suspect this will take some amount of custom Python, but the general idea would be to calculate an angle for each line (or, probably each line split into segments of some length) into a new field and use that angle, rather than the one provided by the strip map index.