Geocoding Service- Rebuild Locators workflow

Jump to solution
08-23-2016 07:03 AM
RajuGopinath
New Contributor III

We are migrating from ArcGIS Desktop/Server 10.1 to 10.3.1. Now, noticed a big change with Geocoding Service - Rebuilding locators and ESRI never mentions about what the new workflow should be?

We have reference data changing every night- so have to rebuild locators every night to have an accurate address search for our website. In 10.1 ArcGIS Server, our workflow was :

1. Stop Geocoding Service
  2. Update reference data and Rebuild all locators including Composite locator
  3. Start Geocoding service- !!!!!boom all update appears

With 10.3.1, ESRI won't allow rebuilding composite locator. Instead suggest recreating it.

So, my question is Should we have to republish/overwrite Geocoding service every night if we've to recreate Composite locator every night? What's the workflow?

Or can this composite locator copied over to server which can be consumed by geocoding service?

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Sure:

I have a stack of individual locators that are maintained as their respective data changes.  Within that stack are a couple that don't change (like freeways), but the others, streets, address points, common name points are always in a state of flux.

When you publish a composite, or any other service for that matter, you can do it one of two ways:

1.  If you register the data the services use with the ArcGIS server, the published service is linked to the original data.

2.  If you do not register the the data the services use with the ArcGIS server, all that data is packaged up and sent to the ArcGIS Server.

With the first option, in order to rebuild a locator, you must shut the service because there will be a lock on the locator. I chose to go with the second option as it allows me a bit more flexibility with my work flow.  I don't want any connection with ArcGIS server and the original data sources.  If the workspace where the original data sources reside has some sort of failure, I need my geocoding services to remain up and running.  [I use the term workspace instead of hard drive or machine, as everything I do is in the virtual environment.]

I can update data, I can rebuild and test locators, I can add or delete locators from the composite; basically whatever I want, without impacting the services.  When I'm happy with what I have, I simply publish the composite, and off it all goes, replacing the old with the new.  With respect to your question, no I do not re-create the composite. There is no need.  You can do this nightly.  You can do this every two weeks; montly, yearly.  You can do this as often as you like.

I hope this clarifies it for you.

That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

From what I understand, the composite doesn't need to be rebuilt which is why you aren't  "allowed' to.  For my application, I prefer not to register the data with the server so consequently I copy everything over to it.  That way you don't need to shut down the published service; you just overwrite it.  Your mileage may vary....

RajuGopinath
New Contributor III

Thanks- can you please elaborate your answer?

So, basically you need to rebuild all other locators, recreate composite and then overwrite geocoding service?

Is that what you meant by copying data over (copying composite locator as a part of overwrite service)?

Unfortunately, we need to do this every night.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Sure:

I have a stack of individual locators that are maintained as their respective data changes.  Within that stack are a couple that don't change (like freeways), but the others, streets, address points, common name points are always in a state of flux.

When you publish a composite, or any other service for that matter, you can do it one of two ways:

1.  If you register the data the services use with the ArcGIS server, the published service is linked to the original data.

2.  If you do not register the the data the services use with the ArcGIS server, all that data is packaged up and sent to the ArcGIS Server.

With the first option, in order to rebuild a locator, you must shut the service because there will be a lock on the locator. I chose to go with the second option as it allows me a bit more flexibility with my work flow.  I don't want any connection with ArcGIS server and the original data sources.  If the workspace where the original data sources reside has some sort of failure, I need my geocoding services to remain up and running.  [I use the term workspace instead of hard drive or machine, as everything I do is in the virtual environment.]

I can update data, I can rebuild and test locators, I can add or delete locators from the composite; basically whatever I want, without impacting the services.  When I'm happy with what I have, I simply publish the composite, and off it all goes, replacing the old with the new.  With respect to your question, no I do not re-create the composite. There is no need.  You can do this nightly.  You can do this every two weeks; montly, yearly.  You can do this as often as you like.

I hope this clarifies it for you.

0 Kudos
RajuGopinath
New Contributor III

Thanks Joe

0 Kudos
LeoLadefian5
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Joe, it's my understanding that any change in the data requires a locator to be rebuilt.  How do you handle the rebuilding if the data is still attached to the service/ geocoder?  It still needs to be stopped correct? Or are you republishing the service with every change?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Yes, if the data is still attached to the service/geocoder in any way, shape or form, you need to stop the service in order to make your updates.

LeoLadefian5

So if my data is not connected to the locator, (only being copied to the server), how is the data being updated?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Not sure I follow your question.  You'd be doing any an all updates to the source data.  Once you make your edits to the source data, you have to rebuild the locator, and republish it.  I suggest recreating the locator though;  it's easy in model builder.  Rebuilding locators in 10.3.1 didn't work.  I don't know what version you are working with or if the problem got fixed.

From my earlier post:

...I can update data, I can rebuild and test locators, I can add or delete locators from the composite; basically whatever I want, without impacting the services.  When I'm happy with what I have, I simply publish the composite, and off it all goes, replacing the old with the new. ...

Leo Ladefian

0 Kudos
LeoLadefian5

Gotcha, I was trying to create a workflow that didn't involve republishing, I guess it's just one more step.

0 Kudos